Cabling issues when calibrating soundcard using REW

Fixer

Registered
Hello everyone.

First post here after spending the whole morning reading and watching videos about how to create the loopback when calibrating my soundcard during the initial setup of REW. I'm posting because I'm still none the wiser.

I am using Denon AVR-X3800H receiver which is connected to my Mac Pro via HDMI.

Once I have successfully calibrated my soundcard, I will be using a UMIK-1 microphone connected to my Mac via USB to run measurements in REW.

As I understand it, in order to create a loopback on my Denon receiver, I need to attach a cable going from a particular output to a particular input on my receiver.

But which output and which input on the receiver do I use?

I've attached a photo of the back of my receiver for reference. It's currently set up for a 5.1 surround configuration. Sorry the photo is not absolutely clear. Because of the way the receiver is positioned in my room, it's a struggle to take a photo of its back. But hopefully it will be enough of a reference.

Attachments

• DSC00014.JPG
    DSC00014.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 16

DanDan

Staff member
Loopback is not necessary, nor even possible with the single channel UMIK-1

Fixer

Registered
Loopback is not necessary, nor even possible with the single channel UMIK-1
Thanks but as far as I understand it, the UMIK-1 is not relevant to the calibration of the soundcard.

It's explained in multiple tutorials that I need to connect my receiver by running a cable from its output to its input to create a loopback.

My question is which outputs and inputs do I use for this on the back of the Denon AVR-X3800H?

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
I think your confused @Fixer... Please provide a link to your source of information that explicitly states that you "connect my receiver by running a cable from its output to its input to create a loopback"... As @DanDan said above: "Loopback is not necessary, nor even possible with the single channel UMIK-1"... You are using a Mac with built in HDMI as output and a USB mic to do input, there is no such thing as a loopback using your AVR... Please read note for step 2... Skip on to the next step 3 of https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/calsoundcard.html#top...

Warning Will Robinson... Do NOT connect your receiver/AVR's output to its input...

Last edited:

DanDan

Staff member
Yup, Loopback, fuggedaboutit. In the early days it was necessary, but a workaround was included to deal with single channel USB Mics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom