C80 and D50 Averages

Benny-R

Registered
Hi there

I'm measuring the acoustics in a music venue and have taken 11 sweeps in different positions around the room. I was hoping to be able to average the results for these in addition to looking at them individually. This works fine for Frequency Response, but when I do DB + Phase, or RMS + Phase average and look at the C80 and D50 charts in the overlay window, I can see that the average really isn't what I was expecting. For instance the 63Hz band, which is relevant to what I'm doing, averages higher than any of the individual readings. This doesn't seem right to me but I must admit my understanding of the maths surrounding such matters is not especially good.

The picture below shows the average as the purple trace, and then three of my measurements with the highest readings in the 63Hz and 8kHz octave bands. The green trace is the highest one there is in the 63Hz band, so I don't understand how the average is higher than this?

Again with the RT60 readings, the averages don't seem to be a recognisable average to me.

Any constructive thoughts would be most welcome. Thanks in advance
confusingC80.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
For your RT60 average use the Overlay RT60 graph features:

1709986460165.png

Those are arithmetic averages of the individual results per ISO 3382. I haven't added that feature for the Clarity overlay but the same process would apply.

If you make an averaged impulse response it would be best to use the Cross correlation align feature first to get the best alignment of the responses, then vector average.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I have added an average trace and an option to export the average on the Clarity overlay for the next build.

Top Bottom