Buying a new speaker system? What should you avoid?

Tony V.

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Are you looking for an inexpensive speaker system and starting from scratch? There is a lot of miss-information and simply bad sales tactics from sales people at the big box stores. Here is some good information on what to look for.
full?d=1492281903.jpg

Many times when I am in a big box store I hear sales people recommend systems that customers simply won't be happy with. Even on the on line forums I see people comment about the poor quality of their speakers in the room they have them set up in and when asked what they have we find out that they bought a small HTIB (Home Theater In a Box) system that is way undersized and simply poorly designed.

One of the biggest issues with these so called HTIB, such as the Bose cube systems, is their upgrade potential. They usually have integrated components and strange hookup connections that make it nearly impossible to replace one piece if it fails. Also if it includes a DVD or Bluray player and they fail, you are stuck and can't replace it without starting from scratch in most cases. Onkyo and Yamaha have some decent systems that are simply normal receivers and speakers that can be replaced if necessary and as budget allows, and are a far better way to go if you must go with a HTIB system. None of their lower priced systems offer what I would call good quality. You would need to spend about $700 to get into what I would believe is satisfactory.

HTIB systems tend to be under-powered and in medium to large rooms they lack the power to fill the space. They are usually unable to allow for connection of HDMI directly to the receiver needed for all the new uncompressed audio formats coming out.

Ok, so now we get into the more technical side of things.

Why should I not get a HTIB system or a system like Bose you ask, besides the above mentioned?

First of all this thread is not going to be a "Bash Bose" thread so lets keep this focused on the real discussion.

They are all built with small speakers and all 5 or 7 speakers including the sub are smaller then what should be used. The drivers in the satellite speakers are too small to produce high volume levels known as decibels (db's). A standard db reading of movies is generally no less than 85db, which is loud enough to make you feel that the movie is surrounding you. Almost all systems in this group simply can not reach this level safely and will distort. Put simply, if the speaker drivers are smaller than 5-6" across and or the cabinet is smaller then a spray paint can, then don't expect much form them no matter what the specifications say.

The other problem is speaker design, a small speaker physically can not reproduce the lower frequencies needed. A so called full range speaker will have a frequency response from around 45Hz (low) to 20,000Hz (high). The cube or satellite speakers only play as low as 300Hz at best and that leaves a big hole where no sound is produced below 300Hz, down to about 140Hz where their so-called subwoofer takes over. For example a nice full range speaker will sometimes have three or more drivers, a tweeter that reproduces the highs, a mid-range driver and a bass driver for the lows. Buying one of theses systems would be like taking out the bass driver and then still using the rest. You end up with a whole lot of the sound missing.

This is where some companies fool you with that so called sub that supposedly has the ability to reproduce those missing frequencies. What they don't tell you is that the subwoofer will not reach high enough frequencies and you still end up with a hole in your sound field. The other big issue and huge design flaw is that the so called subwoofer that comes with theses systems is far to small to make enough of an impact in the low frequency range, and never go below 40-60Hz, which is where most real subs are just starting to work and make an impact where it counts. A true subwoofer goes no higher than about 120Hz and if they are good will go as low as 10Hz, but most start to roll off at about 25Hz. These frequencies are necessary for movies to reproduce things like thunder, a freight train going by, or a Harley Davidson motorcycle driving by, to be heard, or I should say felt.

If you want to stay small get yourself some good bookshelf speakers that have a good solid wood cabinet, not cheap thin plastic, and get a good subwoofer from a reputable company. If you remember that cheap speakers give you cheap sound then your off to a good start.

What I am saying is if you must go with a HTIB system, do not spend the money on weaker and cheaper systems, as most are over priced and do not preform well, and are over hyped. For around $1000 you can get into a good system that is far better and won't need upgrading right away.
Save some money before buying, or buy a receiver first and look for used speakers. Another option is to buy all used equipment, and there are lots of ways to go about this that I wont go into here.

I hope this helps inform some who may be looking and keeps you from making a mistake that will be regretted down the road.

Mark C Flick

More  
Denon 3805
Main Amp
Acurus A250
Additional Amp
Acurus 200X3
Sony PS3
Front Speakers
RBH Signature Classic 1266-SE
Center Channel Speaker
RBH Signature Classic 661-SE
Surround Speakers
RBH Signature Classic 66-SE
Subwoofers
RBH Signature Classic 1212-SE
Other Speakers or Equipment
Kenwood CT-406
Video Display Device
LG OLED55B9PUA
Streaming Subscriptions
Netflix & Amazon Prime
Other Equipment
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC)
In general I agree but I'd say there are a few, very few HTiB systems that are reasonably priced that delivered reasonable performance.
Onkyo HT-S7800 / HT-S7700
Kenwood KS-505HT
Orb Audio Complete Home Theater
and one or two from Klipsch, Denon and Yamaha.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
The HTIB concept is completely lost on the audiophile... and completely embraced by your typical buyer and the big box store employee. I have a lot of friends that would gladly walk into a store and leave with an all-in-one box system. It's that whole convenience and ease of install thing.

I agree with Mark that there are some systems that have decent performance... but ultimately, the conclusions by Tony are on point.

Nice write up!

1_sufferin_mind

Supporter
More  
Emotiva XMC-2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
McCormack DNA-1 Custom Monoblocks (On Standby)
Other Amp
Woo Audio WA6se w/ Audeze LCD-2
Oppo BDP-95
Front Speakers
Revel Ultima Salon
Center Channel Speaker
Revel Voice
Surround Speakers
PSB Image B5
Subwoofers
Seaton Sound Submersive F2+/- pair
Cary SLP98P / VPI SuperScout with JMW9 & Hana MH
Video Display Device
LG 65" OLED 65CX
Screen
TBD
Streaming Subscriptions
JVC X70R Proj ; PS Audio PWD w/ Streaming Bridge
What I am saying is if you must go with a HTIB system, do not spend the money on weaker and cheaper systems, as most are over priced and do not preform well, and are over hyped. For around $1000 you can get into a good system that is far better and won't need upgrading right away.
Isn't that the truth! Wouldn't it be great if the Big Box stores hired knowledgeable sales staff, or educated their existing one? Then consumers could see how the other half lives by having other options demo'd right alongside Bose.

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
That truly would be an eye opener for many if the box store staff had the opportunity to hear a comparable priced system beside a Bose system.

ShpongleDMT

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR 1913
Sony PS4
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology 8060HD
Surround Speakers
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000
Subwoofers
SVS PB12-NSD
Video Display Device
Samsung Plasma
I actually laugh out loud when I opened this thread and saw a picture of a Bose system.

GFOviedo

My first HT was a HTIB by Onkyo HT-S7100 I believe. Then I found AVS Forum and started looking at the infinite amount of information for better HT equipment. We have so many options out there that many people do not know about. Many rely on Best Buy employees recommendations.

The good thing is that my local Best Buy has a few guys who know their stuff. We always get into long conversations about different set ups and new equipment that they can get such as SVS Sound. Many people do not know that Best Buy can get SVS Sound.

Oh wow! I just realized I've got a Best Buy credit card.....

Robbie Hewitt

More  
Denon AVR X4000
Main Amp
2 channel - Beard P100 on Symposium platform
Additional Amp
Musical Fidelity A308cr preamp
Other Amp
Acoustech PH1 phono preamp
OPPO 105
Front Speakers
Legacy Audio Signature III & BA VR-M90
Center Channel Speaker
Boston Acoustic VR-14
Surround Speakers
Boston Acoustic VR-M90
Surround Back Speakers
Boston Acoustic VR-M60
Front Height Speakers
Gray 600 power conditioner
Rear Height Speakers
Grado RA-1& Beyerdynamic DT911 headphone system
Subwoofers
2 - Rythmik Audio F12, HT use only
DIY Lenco 75 Turntable, Graham Eng. 2.2 tonearm
Video Display Device
LG OLED55C7P
Streaming Subscriptions
Lyra Helicon & Decca London Super Gold cartridges
Certainly avoid the HTiB route! You can do so much better.
I'd suggest you go used as well, eBay has lots of product to choose from and Craigslist can be a good source, even searching it nationally. There are many many options for older well made speakers and subs at great prices. Audiogon is also a good source and caters to the higher end products. Stay away from dipole surrounds. Buy speakers that were intended to be used in a HT setup so they all have the same sound. Two smaller matching subs over one larger one.

Tonto

More  
Yamaha RXV-795a
X-Box 1s
Front Speakers
Chane A5rx-c's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2rx-c
Surround Speakers
A1rx-c's