Bowers & Wilkins New 800 Series Diamond Raises the Bar with Revolutionary Advancements

full?d=1630026646.jpg

(August 26, 2021) Harnessing the passions and knowledge of more than five decades of audio excellence, engineers at Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) have spent the last six years reimagining every aspect of its vaunted 800 Series. The result is the 800 Series Diamond, an advanced collection of seven models (four floor-standers, two center channels, and one standpoint loudspeaker) loaded with spectacular levels of refinement.

Audio fanatics are destined to love several advancements in the driver department, beginning with an all-new composite “Biometric Suspension” that replaces the traditional fabric spider. When paired with B&W’s proprietary Continuum Cone – used in midrange and mid/bass drivers – and a polymer ring Fixed Suspension Transducer, the Biometric Suspension reduces unwanted air pressure and unpredictable, non-linear effects. The result, according to B&W, is greater transparency and realism.

B&W’s eye-catching solid body tweeter has also received a refresh and is now decoupled from the cabinet or Turbine Head in two locations. While it’s still crafted from a solid piece of aluminum, B&W’s engineers have elongated its form factor with a longer internal tube-loading system for a more spacious and open sound.

And, lastly, B&W has incorporated an “Aerofoil Cone,” a composite bass cone with a carbon-fiber skin and light syntactic foam core. The cone has varying thicknesses to provide maximum stiffness where it’s needed most, and is mated with a new foam Anti-Resonance Plug that gently braces the voice coil and lowers distortion as the cone is paced through its operating range.

All four three-way models feature midrange drive units with a stiff, all-aluminum chassis and Tuned Mass Dampers to suppress resonance. These units are further isolated on sprung-mounted decoupling mounts that limit the flow of vibration into the assembly. Mid-range drive units on the 803 D4, 802 D4, and 801 D4 floor standing models have an all-aluminum Turbine Head enclosure. This structure provides some outwardly visible eye-candy, while functianlly delivering additional levels of decoupling and isolation. While not visible, the HTM81 D4 and HTM82 D4 center channels benefit from a similar technology buried out of sight, inside their cabinets.

The fourth-largest tower in the series, the 804 D4, joins the 801 D4, 802 D4, and 803 D4 in offering a downward-firing Flowport bass port along with a new, stiffer solid aluminum plinth with a constrained layer steel damping sheet. The 804 has also received new kicks in the form of upgraded M12 spikes and feet. B&W says the 801-803 model range retains the same wheel-plus-spike configuration first unveiled six years ago.

Physically, the entire 800 Series Diamond is dressed for success, available in Satin Walnut, Gloss Black, White, and Satin Rosenut finishes, and loaded with gorgeous fine details. Internally, new levels of rigidity are delivered by B&W’s Matrix technology (a series of panels that brace the loudspeaker in all directions) and an all-new cast aluminum top section that kicks wood to the curb in the name of stifness and improved cabinet quietness . The 805 D4 and 804 D4 have also adopted the reverse wrap speaker cabinet previously reserved for larger floor standing 800 Series Diamond models.

Pricing ranges from expensive to extremely expensive, with the flagship 801 D4 landing at a hefty $35,000. Other floor-standing models, including the 802 D4, 803 D4 and 804 D4, land at $26,000, $20,000, and $12,500 respectively. The Series’ center speakers cost $7,500 (HTM81 D4) and $5,500 (HTM82 D4), while the 805 D4 standpoint loudspeaker costs $8,000 (the custom FS-805 stands cost an extra $1,200). Shipping for all models is scheduled to begin September 1, 2021.

Additional Photos
full?d=1630026646.png

full?d=1630026646.png

full?d=1630026646.jpg

full?d=1630026646.jpg

full?d=1630026645.jpg

full?d=1630027003.jpg

full?d=1630027003.jpg

full?d=1630027003.jpg

full?d=1630026646.png

full?d=1630026646.png

[

jtwrace

More  
Main Amp
(4) Hypex NC502MP
DAC
Topping D90
Front Speakers
JBL M2
Subwoofers
(2) Rythmik FM8, (1) UM18, (1) Custom DIY Ciare 18
Other Speakers or Equipment
BSS BLU 50
Streaming Equipment
RPi4 using RopieeeXL
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
Other Equipment
All Belden 1800F and 1313A
Sure would like to them measured on the Erin's Klippel NFS. :)

hibikijin

Yeah, I am sure the Biometric (what is this?) Suspension justifies the 18% price tag increase ... I have a 803 D3 , I like them but B&W is going overboard with this kind of exoteric marketing descriptions.. well, they are now part of a holding company...

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I'm not sure where 18% technically comes from, but everything is more expensive at the moment, especially labor/manufacturing. B&W had an informative reveal a few weeks ago (@Kal Rubinson did you watch) in which they showed the effect of the newly designed spider, etc. So, I wouldn't necessarily say it's all a bunch of smoke and mirrors. At the end of the day, they are a manufacturing company that can only stay in business if their line is actively building product. Like anything in the AV industry, there's a certain amount of fluff that's associated with any new product reveal.

hibikijin

Hi, I love the B&Ws ... I would have the 801 but I would need a bigger apartment.
the 18%: 803 D3 list price was 17K if I remember correctly.
The mention to smoke and mirrors is not in my post. I think these exoteric market gimmicks depreciate the products and the company, and justify my irony.
On the lighter side: I am sorry I understood Biometric Suspension just now. The speakers use biometry to check our ear conformation to adjust the sound, or check our ear height and adjust the suspension accordingly.
All the best

Top Bottom