behringer mike

Jromero

behringer U-Phoria with ECM8000 mike is a good choice to make frequency response with REW

DanDan

Staff member
The 8000 is probably one of the worst mics out there. There are many better options e.g. the UMIK-1, Dayton, Isemcon, Mic-W

MrCN

Registered
Why is the 8000 so poor! It has been highly recommended on other sites.

dkulmacz

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-NR818
Front Speakers
Hsu
Center Channel Speaker
Hsu
Subwoofers
Hsu
bEhRiNgEr BaD.

Knee-jerk reaction by a lot of people . . . I'm sure the mic is virtually identical to the other that appear at the same price point.

DanDan

Staff member
Some years ago a GS poster measured a couple of current 8000s and an old one he had. The old one was close to the published specs. The two current ones were wildly off. I have measured the UMIK with Cal file here. Almost identical to a Bruel&K 2250.

Jromero

Some years ago a GS poster measured a couple of current 8000s and an old one he had. The old one was close to the published specs. The two current ones were wildly off. I have measured the UMIK with Cal file here. Almost identical to a Bruel&K 2250.
Hi, In Brazil it's very dificult to get a Umik. The only microphones available at stores are the ECM8000 and DBX RTA-M

DanDan

Staff member
You should try living in Ireland! Only a few stores in the Capital, and shipping to here is just crazy expensive. My sympathies on your current health and political crises. We are not doing well here either.
I remember reading of a historical incident. Some tropic Island was a Dutch colony. The islanders were unhappy with the Governor. They revolted and ate him.
I wrote a Primer on Measurement, it is here on the fora. It contains my views on the many mics available. However simply put, I see no point in buying one of these cheap mics without a Cal File.
As the Behringer example showed, the response can be wildly off especially at HF. Any Mic with a Cal File has gone through a post manufacturing process which both measures and corrects response variations.
The UMIK ships from Hong Kong but not at the moment. Dayton or Cross Spectrum Labs would be worth looking at.
If you or a friend does Recording, perhaps you can access an Omni Mic. Any decent brand will have close tolerances and a published curve which you can use to adjust your results.
Many of us use Mics like the DPA4060, an almost perfect Omni with no need for a Cal File because it is flat within a dB or so.

Last edited:

Jromero

How's Dan doing? I Hope your health is ok. Here our políticians are so bad that we Can't even eat them. I Will look for umik-1 on a website that can send to Brazil. I talked about ecm8000 and dbx rta because here you can buy them at local stores.

akl

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
misc
Main Amp
misc, active LOUDSPEAKERS
Subwoofers
MANY, OWN PATENTS
Other Speakers or Equipment
RME (AD DA MICamp)
Streaming Subscriptions
MANY MANY MANY
You do not get a cal-file. It is NOT that the cal file is accurate, but you may judge a little the quality of the MIC , including the outliers.
Behringer ... you get no quality control at all. The MIC-capsules may be almost the same ones.

The second problem are the errors of the MIC-amp. They may be big, they may vary.

Though the level-calibration of the USB-mic may be wrong, it will be more or less steady. With Behringer (and all NOT directly ADC output MICs) MIC sensitivity and/or amp-gain will change. Difficult and or expensive to control.

Top Bottom