Other Amp
Aiyima T09
Computer Audio
MacOS
Front Speakers
Q 3020i
Front Wide Speakers
Polk Xt15
So, I have revamped some new space in my house for nice sound - and I would be interested in using REW. But I am not 100% sure what I can achieve with a minimal investment.

I have a set of reasonable nice Polk bookshelves and a subwoofer and an RPI 'streamer' running Volumio feeding a DAC then into an Aiyima A07.

For running REW, I have a few MacBook's (both M1 and Intel) and an old Windows PC but as far as calibrated microphones I currently do not have many options. In my living room I do have a Denon AVR X2700 so I have access to an Audssey Microphone (not sure if there is such a thing as a CAL file for an Audssey microphone's ??) - I am mainly interested (for now) in basic room correction in this new space (was almost contemplating temporarily moving out the Denon AVR to capture something with that setup - but I imagine its tuned to the Denon AVR). Other than that I obviously have built in microphone's in the Macbook's - I would would possible invest in say a iMM-6 microphone (though say the UMM microphone is > Eur120 in Ireland which is beyond the budget for this project) and mostly I just want to capture a basic set of settings that I can use in say CamillaDSP

So I suppose my question is:
1. Can I use the audssey microphone (in the Mac)?
2. Can I use the build in MacBook microphone (given they are very standard 'hardware' possible someone has calibrated for particular models of Macbook's? )
3. Would the iMM-6 be ok or would it be a waste of money (seems more like a toy than the UMM microphone - based on the pictures I have seen).

Thanks and sorry if similar questions are asked 100's of times before !

Jerome

John Mulcahy

REW Author
1. Yes, but cal data for the Audyssey mic isn't available in a format REW can use so don't pay too much attention to the high frequency response
2. Don't use the built-in mic, it's characteristics and location are very bad for measurement
3. It is possible to use the iMM-6 but results seem mixed, you'll find a few threads on it through Google

jeromeof

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Denon X2700
Additional Amp
Aiyima A07
Other Amp
Aiyima T09
Computer Audio
MacOS
Front Speakers
Q 3020i
Front Wide Speakers
Polk Xt15
Thanks - by ignoring the high frequency response you mean the chart will be mostly accurate except in high frequencies e.g .> 10,000 hz ?

bennyblanco14

Registered
More  
Main Amp
zapco st x4
Additional Amp
zapco st 1650
Subwoofers
arc audio arc d4 12
Streaming Subscriptions
zapco dsp z8 iv
can I use any audio interface with new? I found a Behringer U-PHORIA UM2 for only 50 on amazon. I want to learn how to use rew before investing in a more expensive audio interface. i have a umik-1 mic but i need to use phase alignment and what i been told, the usb on the umik-1 mic wont allow me to do time alignment in my car.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Thanks - by ignoring the high frequency response you mean the chart will be mostly accurate except in high frequencies e.g .> 10,000 hz ?
Mic responses vary at high frequencies, depending on the physical design of the mic and capsule. They will typically deviate from around 5 kHz and will also differ at the lowest frequencies, below 20 Hz or so. There is a comparison of a few mics here.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
can I use any audio interface with new? I found a Behringer U-PHORIA UM2 for only 50 on amazon. I want to learn how to use rew before investing in a more expensive audio interface. i have a umik-1 mic but i need to use phase alignment and what i been told, the usb on the umik-1 mic wont allow me to do time alignment in my car.
Pretty much any interface, yes. A car is a very difficult environment for a USB mic, so a loopback connection on the audio interface can provide a more reliable timing reference.

jeromeof

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Denon X2700
Additional Amp
Aiyima A07
Other Amp
Aiyima T09
Computer Audio
MacOS
Front Speakers
Q 3020i
Front Wide Speakers
Polk Xt15
Mic responses vary at high frequencies, depending on the physical design of the mic and capsule. They will typically deviate from around 5 kHz and will also differ at the lowest frequencies, below 20 Hz or so. There is a comparison of a few

Thanks lots of great information for me to digest. Playing around a bit with REW today and looking at some tutorials. FYI I am a java developer (for 20+ years - too long :)) but other than say IntelliJ this is one of the best Java desktop applications I have seen!! So well done.

Top Bottom