More  
DAC
iFi ZEN DAC, iFi ZEN AMP
Other Speakers or Equipment
Presonus ERIS 3.5
Streaming Equipment
Presonus Revelator IO24, Rode PodMic
Good morning,

I am new to audio measurement and interesseted in this.

I have some stupid question I think.

First I want to buy a Behringer EMC8000 because that is a good cheap one and I won´t spend more than 50€ for the first try.

I have a Presonus Revelator IO24 and Behringer UMC 202HD and here comes the problem.
I read in REW manual to calibrate the interface (soundcard) there for I need a cable and

1. I dont understand which one
2. where to connect it for loopback

Can you answer me these two questions? I really new and like to start with this.

Do I need a XLR to 3.5 (6.5mm) cabel which runs from the mic input to one speaker out? And when left or right? Or a XLR to 2x3.5 (6.5)mm?

Hope you help an old Lady (I am 53 thats old)

Greetings from Germany

Tabea

Attachments

• Behringer_202.png
    Behringer_202.png
    303 KB · Views: 6
  • Presonus_io24.png
    Presonus_io24.png
    282.4 KB · Views: 9
  • xlr35.PNG
    xlr35.PNG
    156.7 KB · Views: 8

sm52

There is nothing on your devices with a size of 3.5mm. To calibrate the card, the card output must be connected to the card input.
1.This is a TRS 6.5mm to TRS 6.5mm cable.
If you make measurements with a loop, you need a Y cable, which will have two TRS as in step 1, from which there will be a branch to the amplifier (for example), usually there are RCA inputs, that is, a third RCA plug.

Chota

Registered
More  
DAC
iFi ZEN DAC, iFi ZEN AMP
Presonus ERIS 3.5
Streaming Equipment
There is nothing on your devices with a size of 3.5mm. To calibrate the card, the card output must be connected to the card input.
1.This is a TRS 6.5mm to TRS 6.5mm cable.
If you make measurements with a loop, you need a Y cable, which will have two TRS as in step 1, from which there will be a branch to the amplifier (for example), usually there are RCA inputs, that is, a third RCA plug.
Sorry yes the jacks are 6.5mm :-)
I dont want measure with a loop.

I want to connect the measure mic into my interface, put in front of my speakers and test different materials for my pop filter.

As far as I undertand I need the xlr-6.5 cable to calibrate the interface? If I use an USB mic then I don´t need it.

why should I need a TRS 6.5mm to TRS 6.5mm? I want use only one of the interfaces? The Presonus OR the Behringer not both.
I am so wrong to undertand it?

"Connect the interface's line or headphone output directly to its line input"

Thats what´s written in the REW manual

So connect the headphone out or the main out.

sm52

n order for the graphs that will be obtained from your measurements to have an accurate picture, it is necessary to calibrate the sound card before measurements. So that its inaccuracies do not affect the result. For this
'Connect the interface's line or headphone output directly to its line input'
You don't need a headphone output, both cards have a line output. Therefore, the cable from my point 1 must be connected to the line output and line input of the card that will participate in the measurements. This is done once, you will specify the file with this measurement (calibration file) for REW at the end of the calibration.
If you do not need accurate time measurements, but your goal is as you wrote, then yes, you can do the cable calibration from my point 1, and you are ready for research.
The microphone must be connected to the sound card, is your microphone for the sound card?

sm52

I want use only one of the interfaces? The Presonus OR the Behringer not both.
Yes. One interface is needed for measurements. Calibration is done by one interface. Its output is connected to its input.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The soundcard loopback calibration has two purposes:
  1. Compensate for the soundcard's low frequency and high frequency roll-offs
  2. Make sure there is no monitoring active, the measurements are wrong if there is any monitoring

It is not essential, however. The compensation for roll-offs isn't often needed unless you are looking in detail at very low frequency behaviour. Making sure there is no monitoring is important, but you could also check that by making sure monitoring is turned off on the equipment or its mixer controls and checking that tapping on the mic does not produce any signal on the output.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
To generate the calibration file, connect the interface’s input and output with a TRS (aka “stereo”) 6.5mm (aka 1/4") cable. The front panel jack is a so-called “combi-jack” that will accept 6.5mm in addition to XLR.

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

• 20210812113637_Presonus-revelator-io24-AnglesWeb mod.jpg
    20210812113637_Presonus-revelator-io24-AnglesWeb mod.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 8

Chota

Registered
More  
DAC
iFi ZEN DAC, iFi ZEN AMP
Presonus ERIS 3.5
Streaming Equipment
Thank you to all. Sometimes it took a bit for me to understand (and english is not my nativ language)
So I will order the cable for calibration.
Hope the Behringer EMC 8000 is enough for my purpose. And I get a result like this.

Wait till next week for the cable.

Attachments

• imp.png
    imp.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom