Screen
Elite Screens 100”
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony Ultimate One
Streaming Subscriptions
Roku Ultra
BD55 submitted a new Showcase Item:

Bargain Basement Theater

I'd like to add my humble basement theater area. Chane Theater 10s for the mains and dual Chane SBE-118s run off a Dayton SA-1000. Still need to finish installing the rears to make it 7.2. My receiver is a Denon AVR-1910, and yes we're rocking a WII and PS2 :). The Bluray is a ClearPlay player which is nice for making some movies a little more kid-friendly, and we have a Roku with Sling and Prime on it for everything else (TopGear, The Grand Tour, Forged in Fire, etc. for a flavor of the TV we watch, lol). However, as you can see, it's mainly used for family movie nights we have typically every Friday or Saturday with homemade pizza (the kids love Tron:Legacy, and I love it too, so win-win!). I don't think I'll likely ever have a dedicated theater room as the space is too multipurpose, but I have been pestering my better half about doing a screen and projector for a while now (to much eye-rolling of course).

Read more about this showcase item here...

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for sharing and posting your home theater. Looks great for a multi-purpose home theater! Lots of enjoyment for the entire family that is for sure. :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Love it, BD55!!! Nothing humble about that... looks like a fabulous multi-purpose space. There's nothing better than a great gathering place for the family... toss in some classic Chane's and you've got a great setup! :T

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Very cool space!

I agree with Todd, not humble at all. You have quite a space there and I'm sure the kids love it.

You know what happens with a true dedicated theater space? The wife and kids no longer want to join you for movie nights because its too dark and scary in Dad's dungeon of horrors. It's a struggle to drag my wife and daughter in there because its too dark, too quiet, and serves no other purpose for them. Sigh!

Where is the center channel in the pictures? I was having trouble seeing it.

Those subs are great, a ton of output for the money. I know plenty of people with very high dollars theaters that don't have bass to compete with what you have, Hell I don't have two 18's! Bass is definitely an important part of what makes a theater exciting to watch movies in.

BD55

More  
Yamaha TSR-7850
Additional Amp
Dayton SA1000 Sub Amp
Clearplay Blu-ray
Front Speakers
Chane Theater Ten
Center Channel Speaker
Chane Theater Ten
Surround Speakers
Polk RC85i
Surround Back Speakers
Polk RC80i
Subwoofers
Dual Chane SBE-118
ViewSonic PX727-4K
Video Display Device
Samsung 65"
Screen
Elite Screens 100”
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony Ultimate One
Streaming Subscriptions
Roku Ultra
Very cool space!

I agree with Todd, not humble at all. You have quite a space there and I'm sure the kids love it.

You know what happens with a true dedicated theater space? The wife and kids no longer want to join you for movie nights because its too dark and scary in Dad's dungeon of horrors. It's a struggle to drag my wife and daughter in there because its too dark, too quiet, and serves no other purpose for them. Sigh!

Where is the center channel in the pictures? I was having trouble seeing it.

Those subs are great, a ton of output for the money. I know plenty of people with very high dollars theaters that don't have bass to compete with what you have, Hell I don't have two 18's! Bass is definitely an important part of what makes a theater exciting to watch movies in.

:rofl: You are probably so right about this. My kids have night lights scattered around the house and have a penchant for leaving lights on all the time, so they probably would easily be scared of a dark theater room.

The center channel is on it's side to the left of the WII; I've tried it both horizontal and vertical and both seem to sound ok. The Theater 10's horn seems to work well in both axes.

I love the Chanes!!! And I've called it humble because I was fortunate enough to win the Chane 3.2 package, so my own additions are minimal :greengrin:. It's a ton of fun having family come over and putting on a hard hitter (Tron being a favorite; the SBE-118s do a great job without droning, or Thor: The Dark World or CA: Winter Soldier which both are outstanding not just from a bass perspective) and watching their faces as the couches start moving up and down as they resonate - which reminds me I have a project on its own to fix a bunch of rattles that have cropped up...

Last edited:

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
:rofl: You are probably so right about this. My kids have night lights scattered around the house and have a penchant for leaving lights on all the time, so they probably would easily be scared of a dark theater room.

The center channel is on it's side to the left of the WII; I've tried it both horizontal and vertical and both seem to sound ok. The Theater 10's horn seems to work well in both axes.

I love the Chanes!!! And I've called it humble because I was fortunate enough to win the Chane 3.2 package, so my own additions are minimal :greengrin:. It's a ton of fun having family come over and putting on a hard hitter (Tron being a favorite; the SBE-118s do a great job without droning, or Thor: The Dark World or CA: Winter Soldier which both are outstanding not just from a bass perspective) and watching their faces as the couches start moving up and down as they resonate - which reminds me I have a project on its own to fix a bunch of rattles that have cropped up...
Hah, yeah....Big subs do tend to cause rattles to emerge. I have a few in my room and I took great measures to eliminate the possibility. I still am not sure what is causing one of them. It sounds like it may be a light fixture on the wall. The diffuser just hangs from the light and while I intentionally bought resin diffusers and put some felt on their base to create a tight fit, I may need to look closer at that one.

I've seen rooms where the electrical conduit in the wall is actually vibrating and knocking on the wall. Which ends up nearly impossible to fix.

Chasing rattles is a nightmare. If you have never done it, the "right" way is to take everything out of the room and play sweeps or test tones to cause the rattles. Pinpoint the frequency and play that. If there is no rattle when the room is empty, its not the room. Then add things in one by one. Once the rattle re-emerges, you have nailed it. Who has time or capacity to empty a room of all furniture.

I actually have a rattle in one of my DIY subs that is also acting as a center speaker stand, so I've not had time to trace it out. My fix has been to unhook it for now but I think the speaker wire is lying on the sub driver unfortunately. I'll need to take the entire front of the room apart to get to it, which is a two person job.

Top Bottom