Auto-EQ low end on headphones

jmfreeland

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Focusrite 2i2
Other Equipment
MiniDSP Ears
Hello all. FIrst time poster here! I've taken the plunge on a pair of MiniDSP Ears and the pro REW software. I produce and record music in my spare time, and I'm constrained to headphone 99% of the time, so I figured I should start measuring and comparing headphones, because clearly I didn't already have enough obsessive musical interests...

I've successfully measured my set of DD880s (attached), and I'm pretty pleased with how well it's done. I haven't received my upgrade key yet, but I'm looking forward to testing both sides to see how well they're matched, as the driver on these was replaced at one point.

In trying to generate an EQ to a flat target on these, I've found that I can't automatically flatten out the low end. In the manual this seems to be a specified behavior (listed as not done by default), but I haven't found a setting that will allow me to allow for correction in the bass/sub-bass. Is this something I can enable? I'd rather have it generate a couple well-chosen EQ points than try to do this manually.

Looking forward to testing and sharing.

Attachments

• DT880 Practice 10.mdat
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Your Pro license code was sent an hour before that post Josh, at 8:24 pm. It isn't required to make measurements with EARS, you can just change the input channel to measure each side individually, but it may be more convenient to measure both at once, of course. If you don't require the Pro upgrade let me know and I'll send a refund.

REW won't boost a response below the lowest frequency at which it drops below the target, you could get around that by applying a manual shelf filter to lift the response above the target and then let REW apply filters to match the target more closely.

jmfreeland

Registered
More  
Focusrite 2i2
Other Equipment
MiniDSP Ears
Thank you John. I hadn’t even checked to see if I’d received the license, so it wasn’t a complaint. I’m till getting used to navigating the software at this point. I don’t mind supporting it even if there is a workaround to do both sides.

I will experiment a bit more tomorrow. Looking forward to testing headphones for mixing. Unlike most of the hifi reviews I read, I’m definitely shooting for flat response across the board for translation across different speakers/headphones.

jmfreeland

Registered
More  
Focusrite 2i2
Other Equipment
MiniDSP Ears
So I’ve had a go and figured out how to manually add a couple shelves and then correct to a flat curve after manually adjusting the low end. I think I should be good to go from a practical perspective.

Is there any chance of a future version allowing for automatically correcting even down to 20Hz? It’s pretty standard in the pro audio headphone correction world to do so (Sonarworks, realphones), and I’d like to see what the simplest or cleanest way to get to a flat response is vs. my completely novice choices.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Top Bottom