Auto-EQ issues with Rockford Fosgate DSR-1 DSP

jtrosky

Registered
First off - thank you for a FANTASTIC tool!

I'm using REW to help with the setup of my car, where I use the Rockford Fosgate DSR-1 DSP. I've been using the Auto-EQ functionality in REW to try and flatten out the frequency response of my speakers. I am using a MiniDSP UMIK-1 microphone (with associated calibration file). The problem that I'm having is that some of the filters REW generates do not do what they are expected to do. I've tried using both the Generic EQ profile as well as the 3Sixty.3 profile. The 3Sixty.3 profile seems to work better than the Generic profile (it's values match the DSR-1 better), but even with the 3Sixty.3 profile, some filters just do not do what is expected - the results are very different from the "predicted" response. Just some though - generally, the filters generated work very well. The DSR-1 is based off of the 3Sixty DSP, so I would think the DSR-1 should use the same, or very similar, values as the 3Sixty.3. However, I have noticed that the DSR-1 allows Q values up to 10, whereas the 3Sixty.3 profile only allows Q values up to 6. Also, the DSR-1 only allows for increases up to 6db and cuts up to -24dB. I suspect that the Q values are what is causing the actual results to not match the predicted results. I understand that the prediction is not perfect, but it's more than that. You'd think that Q values would be "standard", but that is obviously not the case since they change if I change from Generic to 3Sixty.3 when filters are already populated.

I suspect that the DSR-1 Q values are different than the Generic and the 3Sixty.3 profiles. Is there anything that I can do to help figure out how to make the auto-EQ function work better with the DSR-1? I'd gladly do any testing or troubleshooting that may help identify the source of the issue.

Also - any chance of getting more EQ filters? I know that 20 is a lot, but when tuning a vehicle, if you use a coaxial speaker, you may need to EQ the entire frequency spectrum on one speaker - and since a lot of DSP's offer 31-band parametric EQ's, it would be nice if REW supported 31 filters.

Again, thank you very much for a great product and any help you may be able to offer!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
REW is not able to generate perfect filters for a product it does not specifically support. It’s best to use pink noise in that situation and EQ in real time.

As far as the number of available filters, 20 is way more than anyone should ever need. I suggest reviewing my article on the topic of over-equalizing.

https://www.hometheatershack.com/fo...els-hard-knee-house-curve-long.html#post55647

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

jtrosky

Registered
Respectfully, I would disagree with you that 20 is way more than enough filters in all cases. Car audio tuning is definitely a different beast than home audio tuning. The car is probably the worst environment for good audio with all of the hard surfaces, glass, poor speaker placement, etc. There is a reason why the high-end car DSP processors give you 31-bands-per-channel of parametric EQ. :-) You may only need a few bands for a home subwoofer, but there are situations in a car where more than 20 bands would be optimal - especially when dealing with wide-band drivers.

I guess to me, what is the difference if REW provides 20 bands or 31 bands? :-) If you don't want to use them, fine - but it's nice to have *if* they are needed. Now I do realize that REW wasn't designed for car audio, but it's used a lot in that field and having the same number of filters in both REW and the car DSP systems sure would make it easier on folks that do want to use them.

Another "enhancement" idea that I had was if there was a "user defined" DSP type, where the user could specify things like number of bands, min/max gain values, min/max Q, etc. This way, I could "define" a DSP entry to better match my particular DSP. When using the AutoEQ features, It would be nice to be able to set those items if I don't have one of the predefined DSP types. Just an idea...

Thank you for the input - I do appreciate it!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
I’ll defer to your experience with car audio. I have some vintage a/d/s/ component speakers along with Soundstream and Yamaha amps that I intend to install in my car someday. “Someday” has been dragging on for more years than I’ll admit to...

What you could do is EQ what you can with REW’s 20 filters, then measure again and re-EQ what’s left to be done.

Regards,
Wayne

Top Bottom