Auro Technologies Files for Bankruptcy, Expects to Bounce Back

full?d=1655239856.png

(June 14, 2022). As originally reported on the German technology news site c’t Magazin, Auro Technologies, maker of Auro 3D, has taken a precautionary measure and filed for bankruptcy.

The official announcement happened on Friday June 10th via an exclusive interview with founder Wilfried van Baelen.

According to van Baelen, the company has been financially throttled by the corona virus and the resulting supply chain crisis. Royalties are a primary source of income for the company, which have been hampered by a lack of chips for manufacturing new receivers. Additionally, streaming and soundbar technologies developed prior to COVID have experienced extensive delays. van Baelen says those two technologies might not make impacts on the market until 2023.

These market troubles and the inability to project significant future growth ended recent negotiations with a new investor, ultimately forcing Auro to file for bankruptcy. According to c’t, van Baelen expects Auro Technologies and its employee structure to remain intact – sales of individual patents, according to the founder, is not an option. The hope is that bankruptcy will ultimately allow for a positive restructuring and a strong future of business and growth.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Me too. Auro-matic is a wonderful upmixing engine... and true Auro-3D mixed audio is a delight.

More  
Denon AVR-X8500H
Main Amp
Samson SX1200
Other Amp
GTDAudio T-8500
Front Speakers
Klipsch RP-280F
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RP-280F
Front Wide Speakers
Klipsch RP-280F
Surround Speakers
Klipsch RP-280F
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch RP-260F
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch RP-260F
Subwoofers
Open Baffle x16 Klipsch 8s
Screen
Optoma HD27HDR
I'm still trying to find some native auro 3D content on a 4k region free disc or blu-ray disc. I understand this is probably those mastering them who licenced from the company... But I still can have hope.

As for upmixed content I have the flagship X8500H however I haven't seen the auro option. Perhaps someone can advise? Maybe I need to enable a VOG channel for it to become an option first through preout Height4 or something if I remember correctly.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I'm still trying to find some native auro 3D content on a 4k region free disc or blu-ray disc. I understand this is probably those mastering them who licenced from the company... But I still can have hope.

As for upmixed content I have the flagship X8500H however I haven't seen the auro option. Perhaps someone can advise? Maybe I need to enable a VOG channel for it to become an option first through preout Height4 or something if I remember correctly.
I have found one Auro3d movie on eBay, but I have been told you need to look in Europe...sometimes amazon UK has them too.

Here are some at Amazon UK

Auro3d download music...

Last edited:

FrankV

Me too. Auro-matic is a wonderful upmixing engine... and true Auro-3D mixed audio is a delight.
Hi Todd,

I know you tested the Yamaha RX-A8A, did you try Aura 3D on a stereo TV broadcast? I have just bought an RX-A6A and noticed occasional weird brief phasing effects between front and back with speech a finally tracked it down to Aura 3D being enabled by default deep in the menus. Switched it off and now all is good. No problems with genuine surround sound, so I think the basic setup is correct. Unfortunately, more often than not there are side effects when "fake" processing is applied.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Hi @FrankV, I didn't specifically test Auro 3D with stereo TV, but I have a lot of experience using Auro. I'm actually surprised you experienced what you heard. I've never heard what you're describing when I've used it! It, IMO, has always been the least processed sounding of the upmixers. I can't remember off hand, but is there a menu setting for the Auro effect on the A6A? Some Auro equipped processors allow you to dial up or dial back the Auro effect using a scaled menu selection of 1-10.

That said, if you're ears are sensitive to upmixing... all bets are off. Once you hear it, there's little chance you're going to un-hear it!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment

@littlegandhi1199

Hmmm... that's odd. You definitely don't need a VOG speaker enabled for Auro to work (or to sound incredible). You might, however, need to switch your speaker configuration from Ceiling channels to Top-Height channels (which positions the speaker at the top of your front and back walls). Besides, Auro can't properly work if you're using Atmos channels that are mounted in your ceiling. The immersive channels in an Auro system need to be mounted as top height channels.

Here's a review I wrote a few years ago. It has lots of info about Auro and Auro deployment: https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/s...vr-tackle-auro-3d-an-exploratory-review.3737/

As for content, it's a real sticking point for the codec. I have a Red Tails Blu-ray in Auro and a handful of music discs mastered in Auro. And that's it. The music, while not necessarily my preferred style, sounds fantastic. If you get your system sorted out, you should try some! Also, using Auro as an upmixer provides a wonderful immersive experience. IMO, Auro does the best job keeping your room's front soundstage sounding intact and sounding natural.

More  
Denon AVR-X8500H
Main Amp
Samson SX1200
Other Amp
GTDAudio T-8500
Front Speakers
Klipsch RP-280F
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RP-280F
Front Wide Speakers
Klipsch RP-280F
Surround Speakers
Klipsch RP-280F
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch RP-260F
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch RP-260F
Subwoofers
Open Baffle x16 Klipsch 8s
Screen
Optoma HD27HDR
Sorry for the late reply! I went on a short vacation but lost track of my messages.
Excellent! Ill investigate the manual some more. I am physically set up in a front and rear height manner (perfect for auro3D) but simply noted them as tops which I noticed helped atmos sound a little better. I will definitely be trying some CD albums I know intimately with the upmix algorithm and have only had the flagship model for some months. Thank you for reminding me what got me excited in the first place. Auro3D

Top Bottom