Audiolense and Group Delay Efficacy Questions

mrlawng95

Registered
Hi Everyone - I'm hoping the forum can help me answer some questions I'm grappling with.

I'll provide context below, but I'm ultimately trying to determine if:

1) The acoustic issues in my condo are beyond Audiolense's capabilities (more specifically, is my group delay issue of a variety where Audiolense cannot be effective?), or
2) Is my measurement system and / or version of Audiolense the limiting factor?

I live in a condo with challenging acoustics. Just about everywhere I try to setup speakers there is a soundstage pull (usually to the left). Aligning speakers using EQ does not yield positive results (e.g. the image will not shift center). I think this is due to disparate construction materials and I think it is showing up in Group Delay measurements. While I wouldn't doubt you if you thought that perhaps it is my hearing, I have validated the issue with multiple non-audiophiles. I also hear a central image with in-ear and over ear headphones. And in my car :-)

Here are before Audiolense and after Audiolense Group Delay measurements from REW:

Left Speaker - Before Audiolense is Blue and After is Brown

You can see that Audiolense 6.0 beta was not effective on the ~70ms peak at ~170hz and this is what is concerning me.

Right Speaker - Before is Orange and After is Turquoise:

Now, I'm not sure this is an Audiolense issue, which is why I'd appreciate input from the community.

A little bit info about my version of Audiolense and my measurement system. I have version 5.5 and a 6.0 beta. They both yield results different from each other. I'm curious about whether or not my issues will be better addressed by a more recent version of Audiolense? Also, my measurement system may be the culprit. I'm currently using a UMIK-1 fed into a windows laptop via USB which is also connected via USB to an RME ADI-2 Pro FS R which is connected to my Genelec 8341As via AES. I am controlling everything via Asio4All. I've read that Audiolense supports the UMIK-1 but I'm wondering if a Motu M2 and an Earthworks microphone would solve these issues? I 100% understand that there are multiple clocks in my measurement system but my understanding is that this has been rendered irrelevant by enabling clock drift compensation. One reason I'm thinking I'm experiencing clock drift issues is by viewing my post correction step responses from both versions of Audiolense. Neither look right. The 6.0 beta looks quite odd:

And here's the Step Response from 5.5:

To sum up:

- Does the forum agree (or disagree) that my left channel group delay issue could be causing my soundstage pull left?
- I'm willing to upgrade to the current version of Audiolense if there is reason to believe I'm experiencing a bug or clock-drift compensation is more robust now for a Umik-1 implementation
- Also, I'm willing to buy a Motu M2 and a better analog mic if it is believed that is the way to go

Thanks in advance for feedback and input!

Attachments

• Step 6.PNG
    Step 6.PNG
    72.4 KB · Views: 13

CAAudiophile

Staff member
I am not familiar with the Audiolense, however your issue is not from the Audiolense, it is related to several things...speakers placement, Amp and preamp balancing issue between the 2 channels and so on. The type of equipment/ i.e. speakers you have?. The problem you stated sounds like in the setup ... location of your speakers. They should be at equal distance from the side walls. I would start with adjusting the speakers location. Take the impulse Response to find out the time delay in each channel and adjust speakers placement to get both channel/speakers at the same time delay.

Omid

As far as I know, Group delay below 100 perks is not audible. Above 100 shirts there doesn’t seem to be much of a difference between your two channels. Can you also show us the frequency response? Is there any part of the frequency spectrum that’s louder by a couple decibels over a broad area?

Top Bottom