Audio Input selection

oliver

Hi John,
I am on OSX 10.13.6.
I do have different audio interfaces that I select depending on what kind of measure I have to perform, FR, Impedance, THD, etc.
I have noticed that starting from some releases to date( I am on 5.20 Beta 9 now) when I switch to another sound card REW actually doesn't work on the input anymore.
The audio input is selected but no signal coming in, I have to close REW and start it again in order to "lock/see" again the input.
In the past switching audio card was was working flawless.

Thank you,
Best regards.
Oliver

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Can you use the Generate debug file option on the soundcard preferences when your soundcards are connected and attach the file here, please? Do you find this when changing from an input on any device to another or is it from specific devices? When you say no signal is coming in does REW produce an error message saying the soundcard isn't providing data or is there data but at a very low level?

I tried switching back and forth between built-in audio and a USB soundcard on my test system and didn't have any issues there, though that runs 10.14.4.

oliver

Hi John,
Thanks to reply.
Actually I found that the issue is generated by the output and not the input. I have made an impedance measurement with an audio card, and then changed interface for an SPL measurement, selecting another audio card input and output from the dropdown menu, and when I start the measurement the signal comes out from the previous interface, not the one that is showed in the dropdown menu. Attached the debug file.

Attachments

• soundcard_debug.txt
    54.3 KB · Views: 3

oliver

Forgot to tell you that I have update to the last release and still the same behaviour.
thanks.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Which interface and which output were you using for impedance and which for SPL? When you generated the debug file the input and output were both set as default on USB Audio CODEC rather than selecting a specific output and input.

oliver

Hi John,
I do use a Behringer UCA 202 for impedance measurements, and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 for all the other measurements. I generate the debug file after taken the impedance measurement, and after that I switched to the Focusrite card selecting its input and output, but the signal was still coming out from the Behringer.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Could you attach screenshots of the REW soundcard preferences for both setups?

oliver

Hi John,here the screenshots:

Focusrite.png

Behringer.png

The scenario is the following:
I first select the Behringer and take an impedance measurement, then I select the Focusrite and take an SPL measurement and both measurements work, then if I select the Behringer again the signal is stil coming out from the focusrite, although the menus show the behringer interface.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
What happens if you select an output from the list rather than leaving it as "Default output"? It is generally not good to leave the output or input selections as default, especially on multichannel interfaces.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Sorry Oliver, but I have no explanation for how that could happen or even be possible. Are you leaving the cards connected or unplugging them as you change? Presume they are left connected, would recommend that. I set up a Steinberg UR22 mkII for impedance measurement and an Edirol UA-1A for SPL measurement on my Mac and I can swap back and forth between them without any issues

oliver

Hi John,
thanks for your time.

I do leave the audio interfaces always connected.
I have reset all the audio preferences in OSX, rest the REW preferences too but still the same.
I have noticed that when I switch from the Behringer back to the Focusrite I am not anymore able to select the channels output and the channel mapping is stuck as in the picture( normally with the Focusrite I have four output channels):

Schermata 2019-05-10 alle 15.40.36.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Just on the off chance Oliver can you check the log files in case any errors have been logged? The logs are in a folder called REW in the user library folder, which no longer appears in Finder by default. To display it either browse to ~/Library/Logs or open your Home folder in Finder (Shift Command + H), select View > Show View Options then select the checkbox to show the library folder.

oliver

Hi John,
thanks anyway to try to solve this issue.
attached all the logs, it seems no errors are reported.
I will keep searching for the reason of this behaviour and in case I will let you know.

Attachments

• logs.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 1

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Errors have been logged in 3 of those files, all the same error. I'll review the info and see if it provides any further pointers to where to look for the cause.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I think I've tracked that down and fixed it now Oliver. I'll send you a link to a test version to try out.

oliver

Hi John,
I have tried and it seems that now is working.
I'll update you in a few days of use.
May I ask you what it was the reason?
Thank you very much for your help.
Oliver

John Mulcahy

REW Author
When switching from an output device to another which had fewer channels the way the channel selector was being updated was causing an exception. The reason was my bad programming :).

oliver

Hi John,
Here in Italy there's a saying that more or less say "those who act make mistakes, those who do not act do not make mistakes".
Once again thank you.
Oliver.

Top Bottom