Audio dropouts

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Strange problem... I am getting dropouts on my music, and movies with my i5, and Kodi. I have my kodi player hooked up directly to my tv, and my tv, pc, and Kodi are all hooked up to a Cisco switch which is hooked up to another Cisco switch. The other Cisco switch has my Yamaha AVP, and NAS on it. I normally listen through the Yamaha, but recently started to get dropouts, so I switched the TV to where it uses the TV speakers, and the dropouts went away. Now the TV is hooked up to the Yamaha via a fiber HDMI cable using ARC. I will be getting a 2nd router in the next couple of weeks so I can run my VPN on my tv, and Kodi (so I can watch USA channels).

I assume this is a network problem I am experiencing, but I do not know where to look next to solve the problem.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Can you run hardwire to see if it is indeed network?

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I am running cat5...not Wi-Fi (I assume you thought I was on wifi...please correct me if I am wrong). A friend thinks my 2 Cisco Switches are fighting. I have a new router coming in the next week or two, and I will be hooking it up as a VPN router to the I ternet provided one. I will then plug both switches into it, and I am hoping that solves the problem, but I am not sure it will. I had 3 Cisco Switches configured as a set before I left the USA. they were setup to use the 1 as a master switch and the other 2 basically as slave switches as they were to be plugged into the master switch. I am not using the master switch now, and have one switch plugged into the other in a daisy chain scenario with only one plugged into the router. I could change it, but I need to completely rerun the 1 cat 5 cable as it runs above my French cleat, and will not reach my router the way it is routed now.

I also have a 2nd question: If I plug in the VPN router to the non VPN router...doesn't that negate the benefit of using a VPN? I want the VPN so I can stream US TV. This is the way I have seen others say to use a VPN router when you are locked into a internet providers modem router. We will be hopefully getting fiber soon, and they will be providing another modem/router (I do not think there is an option for a modem only :( ).

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Have a look at the logs for the bridges as well as your i5 and whatever your are hosting Kodi on... Maybe your NAS too... Net interfaces taking any errors? Timeouts and/or Retrys... It could be congestion with your bridges... CSMA collisions perhaps...

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Well I spent all afternoon trying to get a 2nd router setup to see how hard it would be to run a dual router setup so I could hopefully solve the dropouts if it was a network problem. It was a complete failure, and I ended up doing a factory reset on the main router/modem. Once I did the factory reset, I then powered up the wifi, switches, PC, Kodi, and my Audio Equipment. Of course it assigned new IP addresses to some of the equipment, but the big surprise is the dropouts disappeared!
To be sure I went back, and streamed one of the movies I was streaming before that had dropouts every minute or so, and they were gone, so it def was a network problem. The thing I hated about the main router is it insists on assigning IP addresses...sometimes daily, and it has even assigned them to devices that I had assigned as static, so I am assuming something had went haywire with it, and hopefully the reset fixed it for good.

Hopefully when they install fiber I can get a modem only, and then use the EA6200 as a VPN router by itself instead of running 2 routers, as it appears to be pretty hard to get them to work.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
Can't imagine it being a network problem with Ethernet connections all around. Cleaning up all the cached data in the computers is where I would start, and that might have been covered in your process above.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I recently got an error that said I had a duplicate IP address too. I had not installed anything new at all either. I am thinking the Router got messed up, and doing the factory reset is what solved the problem. Sometimes my Yamaha would show a certain IP address, and when I did a scan it would show a different one. Now every item is showing the proper IP, and plays smoothly. I hope it continues to play smoothly.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Does your Yamaha AVR have both a physical ethernet 10, 100 or 1000 baseT as well as a physical WiFi? Could account for you seeing the two inet address... Also static ip addressing or dhcp... remember if your lease is up then dhcp will give you another ip address...

Last edited:

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I have the Yamaha CXA 5100, and I have it setup as Ethernet (it also has Wi-Fi, but as far as I know you cannot have wifi, and Ethernet both setup at once. It also has something called extended ethernet. I have to leave it setup as dhcp or the NetRadio will not work unless it has dhcp. I prefer to run static, but I want the NetRadio.

Last edited:

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Well the dropouts came back. I touched the Asus minipc, and it was hot, so I moved it back to the rack, and no more dropouts. I have had problems with the Yamaha, and Samsung communicating since owning it about 6 months. The problems have been apps not working and HDMI Control. Most of the time the problem has been that the Samsung cannot see the Yamaha. Samsung's solution has been to do a factory reset. Currently the Samsung hangs on the apps or they completely disappear, and need to be reinstalled (this is a new problem). Since I am not in the market yet for a new tv... I will be hooking up all my devices except my PC up to my Yamaha directly. I will be receiving a Roku next week, and it will now be going to the rack too. My Samsung TV is not really a smart tv, but a dumb tv it looks like.

GFOviedo

This is the way I’ve got my HTPC running with Kodi, Plex, connected to a Denon AVR4300. The TV is a Samsung smart tv. Everything is connected via Cat6 Ethernet cable to a netgear gigabit switch, connected to a Lynksis gigabit switch, connected to modem.

I get 100/20 Megabit internet speed. AVR is connected via hdmi to tv. HTPC is connected via hdmi to avr.

I had to go under the audio setting for Plex and Kodi to enable the correct audio codecs that my avr support. Thereafter, I was able to listen to HD tracks without audio drops.

GFOviedo

Thanks, I will check mine... AFAIK my 5100 accepts all codecs.

I understand that your 5100 is able to play all codecs, but for Plex and Kodi you’ve got to go under the settings and enable those codecs.

You can google it or YouTube it, and it will show you how to do it.

Top Bottom