Atmos Setup Issues

jrobbins50

Hello, Bernt and others. I have now successfully set up my main system to play lossy Dolby Atmos through Apple Music and lossless Dolby TrueHD files through the Dolby Reference Player. My setup is 5.1.2, to fit within the eight available channels on my Okto dac8pro.

I am having difficulty with the Speaker Setup and Playback Formats function in AL. As you can see in the screenshots, things seem right for the Speakers and Bass Management and the Crossover Configuration dialogs. It’s the Playback Format and Channel Routing that makes no sense. Specifically, why are Side Left and Side Right appearing, whereas Back Left, Back Right, Top Front Left and Top Front Right do not? I note that the only playback formats available in the drop down are 2.0 and 5.1, the latter of which I selected here.

Insight appreciated. Thanks. JCR

Attachments

• 9DB8E417-1407-4AA2-99EF-0B4CA526A2A2.jpeg
    9DB8E417-1407-4AA2-99EF-0B4CA526A2A2.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 49
  • E8E0ABF1-20A6-4D6F-A32E-7ADA97A4C2BD.jpeg
    E8E0ABF1-20A6-4D6F-A32E-7ADA97A4C2BD.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 47
  • C0AEC630-7F7F-4FD6-B982-4DB803FE69C2.jpeg
    C0AEC630-7F7F-4FD6-B982-4DB803FE69C2.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 39

NMixes

Registered
In my Atmos setup I have to create a new playback format for 7.1.4, you may have to do the same for 5.1.2

jrobbins50

I’m sure you are correct. I can create a custom speaker setup, but don’t know how to create a custom playback format. Can you show how that is done? Thanks. JCR

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
You don't need to create a new speaker setup, you need to create a new playback format. You can start with a copy of the 5.1 format and then add the missing input channels. From there you can route. Remember, the top line in the input - output matrix is the playback format. And the first vertical is your speakers.

I just started the process here:

From here, you can add the input channels you need to complete the atmos format. After you've done, you enter the routing values.

jrobbins50

Bernt, I am unable to create a playback format showing eight columns to the right of the ID and Output/Input label columns. Every time I try to create a new column, the dialog requires me to remove another one, so it constantly stays at six columns, or removes one.

Let me go back up to the start. I began by opening an existing 5.2 format that has worked well for me. (For clarity, the existing speaker setup and playback format and channel routing are in the next post.) I then edited the speaker tab to replace SWFL and SWFR with SWC (as with only eight channels, I will need to treat my two subs as a single sub for the Atmos format) and to add the TFL and TFR, as shown in screenshot 1.

Moving then to the Play Back Format and Channel Routing Tab, I make sure that the 5.1 selection is in place and I select New/Edit Current. That brings up the Format Configurator that you show above. I label the Playback Format 5.1.2 and the Description as Atmos. So far, this is what you see in screenshot 2. (Side note: See that BL is associated with SL and BR is associated with SR. I suppose this is because I did not know previously how to edit this tab, and so in Roon, I have used the swap rear and side channel tick box, which put my surrounds in the right place.)

The dialog now gives me the opportunity to add and remove input channels. What I really want to do is replace SL with BL and SR with BR and add TLF and TRF. So, for example, when I go to replace SL with BL, instead of the swap, the former SL column disappears entirely and is not replaced with BL. See screenshot 3, which shows the resulting screen with only five columns after adding BL and removing SL.

What am I doing wrong here? Thanks. JCR

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

jrobbins50

For clarity, attached are the screenshots of the original speaker setup and the original play back format and channel routing that I am attempting to edit. JCR

Attachments

• Original Play Back Format and Channel Routing.JPG
    Original Play Back Format and Channel Routing.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Original Speakers.JPG
    Original Speakers.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 14

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
I just made a playback format that included all input channels that are defined.

Inputs are added and removed as you pick them in the drop down combo.. And when you add one it "disappears" in the add combo because it is already included. The same happens when you remove one. When you click done, they will all end up at the top line. You can expand the form if you need more space for the columns.

Top Bottom