Applying correction and normalization to audio files.

Jonathanese

Registered
More  
Front Speakers
Adam T7V
Other Speakers or Equipment
Custom 40W DML speakers
Streaming Equipment
Rode NT1a
Streaming Subscriptions
Scarlett 2i2 Gen3
I wasn't quite sure where to put this, since this is less about any sort of hardware, and more about software tools.

I recently got a Tesla Model Y. While it has an amazing stock sound system, there is still a lot of correction I want to do. However, all the car gives you is a 5-band fixed-band EQ, so you can only make super broad ham-fisted adjustments. REW has been spoiling me. So I've heard some software can let you do convolution offline to the audio file itself.

So what I'm wanting to work on is a pipeline:
1. Upload a sweep to a USB drive.
2. Record the sweep with a UMIK-1
3. Upload the sweep to REW to generate a corrective EQ
4. Export the EQ as an impulse response for correction.

And then when I go to upload music files to my car:
1. Gather the music I want to upload
2. Convolve the music with the corrective EQ impulse response as an entire batch.
3. Normalize the music as an entire batch
4. Toss the result on to a USB drive to listen in the car. With EQ correction and normalization.

The originals are all FLAC, so keeping them in a lossless format would be preferred, but it's also car audio, so I'm not entirely bummed if the result is MP3. I would just save that for the last step before normalizing.

So what tools would help me with this? For the files, I know Audacity can do convolution, but that would be one file at a time. I also know it can do normalization, but I would prefer that to be handled by the replaygain parameter to minimize loss of fidelity.

For the calibration, I think I know how I could perform all the steps. You can import both sweeps and sweep response files, so I can just record from several locations, process them together in REW, and export the IIR/FIR.

DanDan

Staff member
Intriguing plan. I believe it should work to a large extent. However I do believe a regular DRC system applies the IR of the filter to the speaker and thus the room. I view it like an active damper on the ringing. Shortens the modes a bit.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio Hang Loose Convolver Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Things that come to mind in no particular order... Have a look at SoX (Sound eXchange)... I seem to recall that it has the ability to do some EQ and Filters as well resampling which you may want to do to take that load off your DAC/Player...

You might also look at HQPlayer... Lots of filtering, resampling and convolution... Although this seems to be used mostly for on-the-fly streaming conversion, I am pretty sure there is a way to save the output as files...

And there is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster (PGGB), otherwise known as Remastero, a file based remastering utility that does resampling and reconstruction, Convolution filters for EQ and Noise shaping and digital volume control...

You could even use something like Audacity with a EQ Convolution plugin... I use Reverberate... Don't remember if you can run this in a "batch" mode using "macros"...

Reaper DAW + your favorite EQ Convolution plugin... As above...

SoX is free while HQPlayer and PGGB are not...
As always, Google is your frenemy...

Last edited:

jtalden

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
Another Option:
I have used Foobar2000 to convert batches of files of music in various ways.
It is capable of convolving music files in batch mode using a specified FIR filter. It requires the Free Encoder Pack add-in to support flac and several other file types. The foo_convolve add-in component is also loaded separately. I found it very confusing to setup file conversion using the convolver originally, but once the the settings are correctly configured it works very well. I can help with the setup if you go this way.

Top Bottom