Subwoofers
Four 15" infinite baffle drivers
Other Speakers or Equipment
HTPC (windows 10 with Kodi)
Video Display Device
Epson EMP-TW2000 projector
Screen
Matt white "blockout" curtain liner
I have a Dell laptop with Windows 10; a UMIK-1 usb mic; ASIO4all drivers installed; and a HDMI connection from the laptop to my Denon X1500H.
Before I run REW I check the audio settings in the laptop.
The laptop sees the Denon and has set itself as 7.1 audio.
I then open the advanced audio settings, and run the test to make sure sound is emitting from each speaker.

This is where the problem comes in.
Occasionally sound comes out through each speaker, and all is good.
But more often than not, no sound comes out during the test.:explode:

The Denon is definitely set to the correct HDMI input, and the laptop definitely has the Denon as the default input audio source.

The annoying thing is I spend an hour getting the sound working, and 5 minutes dong the tests.

Does anyone have any ideas, or has solved this problem themselves?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The Windows audio tests, if that is what you are referring to, aren't really relevant. They are testing the decoding of a multichannel encoded stream (typically Dolby Digital) sent over HDMI whereas REW is using multichannel linear PCM, which usually needs a different processing mode in the receiver.

EarlK

I would think that making sure that REW is shut-down ( followed by a computer reboot ) would ensure that the Windows Audio test performs flawlessly.

( IOW; there's no point having REW running and therefore competing with Win10 for connection privileges to the AVR receiver ).

:)

Last edited:

Nordo

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon AVR X1500H
Additional Amp
Sub amp - Behringer EP2500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasoic BD35
Front Speakers
DIY
Center Channel Speaker
DIY
Surround Speakers
DIY
Surround Back Speakers
DIY
Front Height Speakers
-
Rear Height Speakers
-
Subwoofers
Four 15" infinite baffle drivers
Other Speakers or Equipment
HTPC (windows 10 with Kodi)
Video Display Device
Epson EMP-TW2000 projector
Screen
Matt white "blockout" curtain liner
Thanks John & Earl :)

I have tried all sorts of starting combinations i.e laptop first, AVR first, with and without REW running, etc.
However, yesterday, in Device Manager, I checked all the relevant drivers, and the "Intel HD Graphics 620" drivers needed updating.
Not sure if that's relevant, but will check next time I do some testing with REW.
I've also carried out a lot of "HDMI" troubleshooting tips since I first posted.

@John Mulcahy Yes- I was referring to the windows audio controls. On the HDMI input I am using for REW on my AVR, I had set the Sound Mode set as "Mono Movie" and "Multi Ch In 7.1". According to the Denon manual, these settings are compatible with PCM. Or doesn't the AVR Sound Mode settings matter?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Yes- I was referring to the windows audio controls. On the HDMI input I am using for REW on my AVR, I had set the Sound Mode set as "Mono Movie" and "Multi Ch In 7.1". According to the Denon manual, these settings are compatible with PCM. Or doesn't the AVR Sound Mode settings matter?
Multi Ch In 7.1 is most likely correct for REW, but the Windows audio controls are unlikely to use that so you may get no output from the Windows audio test when using that mode.

Top Bottom