Amina’s Invisible Technology Creates Hi-Fi Sound Without a Visible Speaker

full?d=1573179095.png

(November 6, 2019) When it comes to architectural speaker applications, visual intrusiveness and bulk are typically no-nos. The purpose, after all, is to allow a room to exist without equipment dominating aesthetics. And while many may argue that speakers are inherently works of art, there’s something mysterious and alluring about sound matched to utter invisibility.

That brings us to Amina – a manufacturer of wall-blending Spread Source speakers – and its recent success at CEDIA 2019. Celebrating two decades in the industry, Amina arrived at the annual trade show with several exciting pieces of news. First, the company is now managing its distribution and customer support system in the North American market, having transitioned away from a prior relationship with Control4. According to Amina, this gives the company greater flexibility for future growth while maintaining important relationships within its current dealer network.

“We felt that this new approach, with a deeper direct presence, was the best way for Amina to effectively serve and grow the North American business,” said Keith Vanderkley, Worldwide VP of Engineering Technologies and VP of Sales for the Americas. “Our focus is to develop and maintain partnerships with dealers as we fully recognize and value the skillsets they bring to the table. As our installation partners they are an integral part of our final product’s performance, and by listening to their experiences, they become active participants in our product development.”

Second, Amina used CEDIA to showcase next-generation “i” versions of its flagship Mobius and EDGE speaker series, both of which are wholly invisible once installed and covered by a skim coat, wallpaper, or veneer. The speakers utilize a thin panel composed of aluminum honeycomb or composite soundboards mated with integrated exciters, allowing for sound to be created on a completely flat wall or ceiling.

The Mobius5i ($1,100) and Mobius7i ($1,600) are designed to work behind a range of covering materials such as wet plaster skim (2mm), stucco, wood, leather, natural or man-made veneers and laminates. Utilizing a new Excelsior high-frequency driver integrated into a honeycomb aluminum soundboard, the speaker enjoys a 6dB boost in mid-range sensitivity, better bass extension, and high frequencies that reach 30,000 Hz.

The EDGE5i ($1,000) and EDGE7i ($1,500) can be installed without accessing studs or unique framing. Installers can simply cut, place, and cover the speaker for a presence that’s impossible to see. Amina says EDGE speakers have a manageable 90dB sensitivity with output that’s described as dynamic and engaging.

The Mobius-i and EDGE-i series are available for purchase now. For more information about purchases in North America, call 866-462-6462.

Additional Images
full?d=1573179601.png

full?d=1573179600.jpg

full?d=1573179600.jpg

full?d=1573179600.jpg

full?d=1573179600.jpg

full?d=1573179600.jpg

jdubs75

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz AV10
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic DP-UB9000
Front Speakers
Revel PerformaBe F228Be
Center Channel Speaker
Revel PerformaBe C426Be
Surround Speakers
Atlantic Technology IC-8.3
Surround Back Speakers
Atlantic Technology IC-8.3
Front Height Speakers
Revel C763L
Rear Height Speakers
Revel C763L
Subwoofers
JTR CAP 4000ULF-LP, JTR CAP 4000ULF-ST
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-NX7
Screen
Stewart StudioTek 130 G3 123"
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony Elite
Streaming Equipment
Amazon 4K Firestick, Sony PS4, Apple TV 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apollo
Other Equipment
Furman AC-215A, Monster MP HTS 5100, MiniDSP 2x4 HD
I like the idea for a whole house audio solution. I know my wife would appreciate these instead of seeing my speakers all around the house. ;)

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
I also like it. It definitely has that WAF! :)

Peter Loeser

Staff member
Cool till someone sticks a nail in it to hang a picture.

I do like the idea for integrated/whole house audio. I have some areas in my basement where these could make sense. Bit pricey though for that application.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
This reminds me of the technolony that came out in the 1990s where they were making the dash in cars the speaker...great to go actually see something like this come out for WAF.

Top Bottom