Subwoofers
PSA S3000i x2, PSA S3600, Velodyne DD15
Video Display Device
JVC x9900 - Calibrated
Screen
100 inch
Remote Control
Harmony Elite
I've been using the time alignment tool a lot recently and I love it, it's saved me hours of adjusting and re-measuring.
A question around the delay sliders though. On the left is the delay which ranges from -50 to +50 and on the right is the distance which ranges from -56' 3" to 56' 3".
My question is, isn't one of the signs the wrong way around? To add delay in a processor you have to remove distance, so shouldn't a positive delay have a negative distance and vice versa?

I could very easily be misunderstanding something, but it's been a constant source of confusion for me and others I've worked with. Every time I have to make an adjustment and really think about it, and often I'll go the wrong way.

@John Mulcahy , I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Time is being converted to distance by multiplying by the speed of sound, so a negative delay is a negative distance. From the measurement perspective a larger delay means the source is further away. Processors calculate delays to align to the furthest speaker, so they adjust delays to counter a distance change. I could change the sign of the distance figure, but I don't know that it would make any more sense that way. Happy to hear views on it though.

Conrad.

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Trinnov Altitude 16
Main Amp
Classe CT2300
Additional Amp
Classe CT5300
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
PS4
Front Speakers
B&W N802
Center Channel Speaker
B&W NHTM1
Front Wide Speakers
B&W 601
Surround Speakers
B&W N805
Surround Back Speakers
B&W 601
Front Height Speakers
B&W CCM682
Rear Height Speakers
B&W CCM682
Subwoofers
PSA S3000i x2, PSA S3600, Velodyne DD15
Video Display Device
JVC x9900 - Calibrated
Screen
100 inch
Remote Control
Harmony Elite
Thank John, the way you explain it makes sense.

I'm thinking about it from a workflow perspective though. If I want to add 5ms I need to remove 5' (ish) from the distance. I would imagine that's the most common use case for the time alignment tool, people wanting to see how adjustments will affect their response, and then apply those changes. I may not be considering use cases that I'm not familiar with though.

Top Bottom