Acoustical treatment behind acoustically transparent screen

RandyR

Registered
When I built my home theater several years ago, I went way overboard with diffusion and absorption. Probably at least 50% of the wall had custom deep well quadratic diffusers. Including behind the now ATS screen. The theater currently sounds very spacious and much larger than it is and I don't want to ruin that. I am in the process of redoing everything and want to know the best practices for treatment behind the ATS screen. It currently has a 100" x 48" difusser plus mixed in absorption. I had filled in most of the wells with absorption when I put in the ATS screen. Typical on line information is for full insulation behind the screen, but I don't want to over absorb the room. Is diffusion behind the screen bad?

Attachments

• 20231017_082947.jpg
    20231017_082947.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 28

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Unfolded Circle Remote 2, powered by HomeAssistant
Streaming Equipment
PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
I use all absorption on my screen wall. I would repurpose the diffusers elsewhere in your room, ceiling is always a great area for diffusion to really raise the roof.

VinceHoffman

More  
Anthem AVM60 or Coincident Statement Linestage
Main Amp
N/A
Additional Amp
2x Meridian 557 for Atmos
DAC
Hotrodded PS Audio Directstream DAC w/ outboard linear PS.
Oppomod UDP-203 & Jay's Audio CDT2 Mk II transport
Front Speakers
ATC SCM20ASL Pro mkII on Skylan 4 post stands
Center Channel Speaker
ATC SCM20ASL Pro mkII on Skylan 4 post stand
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
ATC SCM12i Pro hung from K&M ceiling mounts
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
4x Seaton Sound Submersive HP
Other Speakers or Equipment
DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0 for sub modal EQ & delay
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-990 & Isco 3L Ana-lens on motorized sled
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence 4k 2.37:1 Motorized
Streaming Equipment
Apple TV 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
Apple+, CraveTV, Disney+, Netflix, and PrimeTV
Other Equipment
Oracle Delphi VI Reference/Turbo PS/SME V/Benz LP-S turntable, Foundation Research V5 phono-stage, & JL Audio CR-1 electronic subwoofer crossover
IMG_0734.JPG

I prefer a more spacious sounding acoustic too, particularly when listening to stereo LP and CD. So the front wall of our music & cinema room features a combination of diffusion and absorption, leaning more towards the former. My music optimized front stage setup is quite different than most HT optimized setups like that of the OP though. The front baffles of my LCR trio are 5' off the front wall and I use a motorized tab-tensioned AT screen.

IMG_0854.JPG

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 12.20.20 PM.png
At center wall is a huge 8" deep polycylindrical diffuser built from an entire 8'x4' sheet of masonite. the space behind the big poly is lightly filled with mineral wool to provide some limited bandwidth upper bass trapping.

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 11.52.15 PM.png

Flanking the huge poly are a pair of 6'x24"x8" stacks of modified RPG BAD (Binary Amplitude Diffuser) Arc panels. These gradually transition from 100% absorption below 1kHz to about 70% diffusion above 5kHz.

Further outboard, 11' tall floor-to-ceiling stacks of 16" diameter ASC Isothermal Tube Traps provide efficient corner bass trapping. However the Tube Traps are oriented so their reflective poly diffusor side faces into the room. As a result they only absorb frequencies below 400Hz while diffusing everything above.

Last edited:

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
My vote: for best soundstage and imaging (SS&I), which is important for cinema and extremely important for music, go all absorption behind the screen.

RandyR

Registered
View attachment 65082
I prefer a more spacious sounding acoustic too, particularly when listening to stereo LP and CD. So the front wall of our music & cinema room features a combination of diffusion and absorption, leaning more towards the former. My music optimized front stage setup is quite different than most HT optimized setups like that of the OP though. The front baffles of my LCR trio are 5' off the front wall and I use a motorized tab-tensioned AT screen.

View attachment 65086

View attachment 65084 At center wall is a huge 8" deep polycylindrical diffuser built from an entire 8'x4' sheet of masonite. the space behind the big poly is lightly filled with mineral wool to provide some limited bandwidth upper bass trapping.

View attachment 65085
Flanking the huge poly are a pair of 6'x24"x8" stacks of modified RPG BAD (Binary Amplitude Diffuser) Arc panels. These gradually transition from 100% absorption below 1kHz to about 70% diffusion above 5kHz.

Further outboard, 11' tall floor-to-ceiling stacks of 16" diameter ASC Isothermal Tube Traps provide efficient corner bass trapping. However the Tube Traps are oriented so their reflective poly diffusor side faces into the room. As a result they only absorb frequencies below 400Hz while diffusing everything above.
Thanks for the response. A very cool looking setup. It appears that there is some serious music listening going on besides the cinema portion. Did you do anything special with electronics to divide the two? I ended up doing completely seperate systems in the same room.

RandyR

Registered
My vote: for best soundstage and imaging (SS&I), which is important for cinema and extremely important for music, go all absorption behind the screen.
Thanks for the response. I wanted to do all absorption behind the screen but was concerned with over absorbing the room.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Simple rule of thumb... 1/4th to 1/3rd of all surface areas needs wide band and bass absorption... Your one wall behind the screen is only 1/6th...

VinceHoffman

More  
Anthem AVM60 or Coincident Statement Linestage
Main Amp
N/A
Additional Amp
2x Meridian 557 for Atmos
DAC
Hotrodded PS Audio Directstream DAC w/ outboard linear PS.
Oppomod UDP-203 & Jay's Audio CDT2 Mk II transport
Front Speakers
ATC SCM20ASL Pro mkII on Skylan 4 post stands
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
4x Seaton Sound Submersive HP
DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0 for sub modal EQ & delay
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-990 & Isco 3L Ana-lens on motorized sled
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence 4k 2.37:1 Motorized
Streaming Equipment
Apple TV 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
Apple+, CraveTV, Disney+, Netflix, and PrimeTV
Other Equipment
Oracle Delphi VI Reference/Turbo PS/SME V/Benz LP-S turntable, Foundation Research V5 phono-stage, & JL Audio CR-1 electronic subwoofer crossover
Thanks for the response. A very cool looking setup. It appears that there is some serious music listening going on besides the cinema portion. Did you do anything special with electronics to divide the two? I ended up doing completely seperate systems in the same room.
Yes I did @RandyR. Two completely independent source, preamp, and bass management front ends. Only the L & R front active ATC monitors and the quad Seaton subwoofer array with a DSPeaker AM2.0 subwoofer eq are shared between the two front ends. All the silver boxes are 2 channel and black boxes are multi-channel. I use a pair of ARX RS-1 12v triggered, relay actuated XLR switch boxes to seamlessly and transparently switch between the front ends.
IMG_0851.JPG

Prior attempts at having stereo playback duties performed by the two iterations of an almost entirely Meridian high-end digital active 5.1multi-channel system seen below resulted in disappointing stereo sound.
Screen Shot 2023-10-23 at 8.40.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-23 at 8.42.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-23 at 8.57.18 AM.png

The current setup with its independent stereo & multi-channel front-ends along with refinements to the acoustic treatment strategy proved to be spectacularly better for stereo reproduction while also offering the best multi-channel I've experienced to date. Then adding Atmos/DTS X functionality to this latest iteration of the "big rig" truly put the cherry on top!
IMG_0844.JPG

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
I did not mention that the controlled-dispersion character of front main pair (electrostatics or a good HF horn like the JTR or Seaton designs - I use MartinLogan electrostats) effectively helps "increase" the area of absorption, i.e. little to no absorption needed at the usual first reflection pointes, where I would also normally advise absorption.

Top Bottom