A more advanced target curve design tool ??

mamba76

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Lenovo M8 FHD tablet
Main Amp
JL Audio XD600/6 (front end)
Additional Amp
JL Audio XD400/4 (midbass)
Other Amp
JL Audio XD1000/1 (sub)
Front Speakers
Focal Utopia (2003 model) (6W2's + TN51's)
Surround Back Speakers
JL Audio ZR800s (pair)
Subwoofers
JL Audio 13W3 4ohm
Streaming Equipment
miniDSP 2x4HD feeding C-DSP6x8
Hi all. Been a while since last post but revisiting my SQ system again. Seems I cant just leave it alone!
Setting up a car for sound quality is a struggle as there are so many elements involved but having the right tools for the job can make life easier.
I dunno about everyone else but I find having a custom target curves (one overall curve) and also one for each driver (I have a four way system, sub, midbass,mains,twts) has helped take out some ambiguity about whats happening on the crossover points (roll ons, roll offs). It just helps relate what I see on the graphs with what I hear.
REW has target curves built in and you can changes these by changing the text files. But it takes so much time and effort to create a complexed target curve. For instance if a wanted a straight line say 40hz 90db to 300hz 74db, simple right? no it gives you a big curve. I know this is designed this way for a reason which makes sense but I just want a crude and simple way to fully customize and easily create and alter a curve and put that in a frequency response that REW can use. Id use paintshop if I knew how to correlate that to a logarithmic scale. Say you want to up the bass a 300hz wouldn't it be absolutely brilliant if you could just click a point on your target curve and drag it up a bit, then save it!? Eureka!

I know Im crude and unconventional but custom curves help me big time.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
A drag and drop target curve... Seems like a nice feature... I have seen this kind of thing with Matlab as well as other propriety systems... I usually just transcribe an EQ filter from REW into a Audirvana Audiounits Apple AUNBandEQ plugin and tweak it with its drag and drop interface there...

And here is an interesting paper I ran across and thought you may be interested... https://www.researchgate.net/public...stems_Employing_Spectral_Smoothed_FIR_Filters

Last edited:

mamba76

More  
Lenovo M8 FHD tablet
Main Amp
JL Audio XD600/6 (front end)
Additional Amp
JL Audio XD400/4 (midbass)
Other Amp
JL Audio XD1000/1 (sub)
Front Speakers
Focal Utopia (2003 model) (6W2's + TN51's)
Surround Back Speakers
JL Audio ZR800s (pair)
Subwoofers
JL Audio 13W3 4ohm
Streaming Equipment
miniDSP 2x4HD feeding C-DSP6x8
Its always a struggle to find the tools but ill look into the ones you mentioned.

Also at tbe moment when im driving and listening to music, i might say to myself that note or part of the tune sounds a bit harsh then find myself wondering exactly where that harshness lies in the frequency spectrum. I have a nexus7 tablet as my hu which streams usb audio to the dsp. Rather than analyse the audio output with an rta app, which uses the built in microphone, im looking for a simple graphic display app but it must take the signal from the usb output which will be low latency, then i would be able to see exactly where the harshness is.
Just something else on my wish list!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Re getting a curve instead of a straight line, check whether the "Use logarithmic interpolation" box is checked on the house curve preferences.

Top Bottom