5.3.2 Home Theater Set Up

specht007

Hi all,

after being very happy with various Stereo Setups in Audiolense (2.4 and 2.2) I am now trying to use AL for my Home Theater. The final plan is to get Dolby Atmos/DTS/Auro 3D sound with an AL correction, which means routing the outputs of an AV Processor to an interface.

For starters, I am trying this without the AV Processor - streaming Netflix from a PC.

The PC is a Minisforum UM700 (Minisforum EliteMini UM700), VB Hifi Cable and Asio Bridge, AL 6.16 XO and AL Convolver 1.3. I am using a Motu Ultralight Mk4 to experiment for the time being which limits the speaker setup to 5.3.2 for now:

L
R
C
Back L
Back R
Front Height L
Front Height R
3-driver Sub

Unfortunately I couldn't get this to deliver MCH sound yet. The measurement went fine, but it does only output stereo so far. I guess I am stuck in the speaker setup - payback format and channel routing - I can design the input/output matrix according to what I believe is right, I can also save it - but when I close the setup and reopen it after having saved all changes, it will automatically go back to 2.0 playback format . So any advice is much appreciated, here are some screenshots:

I

I know I still need to work a bit on the level adjustment, but this is what it would like now:

Last edited:

hulkss

In the "new measurement" window use the check speaker connections. Watch what the MOTU routing is doing as you click through the channels. The convolver will output the same channels.

I've never used 5.1 from Netflix. Your problem is probably somewhere with Windows audio.

specht007

I definitely get sound from all speakers during the speaker check and sweeps for all channels I wanted. So I think I got the routing right. See the measurement screenshot. But under speaker setup in the „playback format and routing“ tab it looks like I cannot go to anything else then a 2.0 playback format.

specht007

Use the new/edit current button and put in whatever you want.

That‘s what I did. Still - if I save these settings, close the speaker setup and reopen it - everthing‘s back to 2.0 playback format.

specht007

Thanks, good idea. That worked conceptionally. Will try in my setup next week.

specht007

I've never used 5.1 from Netflix. Your problem is probably somewhere with Windows audio.

That was the real problem as it seems. Donwloaded some Dolby testfiles and got all channels exept for the Atmos ones. But that I guess I can get going once I am connecting the AVP.

Last edited:

specht007

@hulkss - could you help me out with the correct routing for my MOTU? I am not able yet to get sound from my AVP to the Outputs of my MOTU when applying convolution. I've attached the routing matrix. Any idea what's the problem?

I's not the AVP nor the MOTU, with this simple Input/Output routing I get sound from the AVP:

hulkss

Try without VB Cable or ASIO Bridge. Your AVP is hardwired analog into the MOTU. Those signals loopback to the the PC over USB with the MOTU ASIO driver into the AL convolver. The convolver outputs over USB to the MOTU with the MOTU ASIO driver and those signals are routed to the MOTU analog outs. It looks like you are on the right path. I did not look at the details of your signal routing.

specht007

It's working, thanks @hulkss . There's just something not right with the channel routing, but I guess I'll find out.

hulkss

Turn off your amps or unplug the analog outs. You can then turn up the gain and watch the little blue dots blink on the MOTU routing window to see where the signals are going.

specht007

Got rid of the AVP and will do another try with 5.2 sans Atmos. In this scenario I would route my Smart TV via Toslink to the Motu. @hulkss or others using a Motu - would 5.2 work for Netflix, TV sound etc this way or am I missing something?

Top Bottom