2 way Danley Synergy build

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
The carpenter told me he used a finish that is used for hardwood floors... I love it as it is a mirror finish.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Stunning, beautiful and amazing... I hope they sound stunning, beautiful and amazing... Lol... And you didn't fill them with activated carbon... :cool:
I might try some Roxul in the cabinet this time. I had the cabinet made out of 1" this time, with the front baffle1 1/2".

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I finished assembling the center channel today. I made a wiring harness for the center also that is close to the same as the left and right channel harnesses. I took a picture of the harness in the speaker, but forgot to get a pic of it with the Roxul in the cabinet. I would take the back off again to take a pic, but the rear panel is very close fitting and I do not want to chance damaging it as I already got 2 scratches on the side when I was moving the speaker on the carpet. Apparently there was a couple of kitty litter granules and they dug 2 big scratches in it. My carpenter said he can fix it, but it will be inside of the rack and not seen so I will leave it for now. I also put dynamat on the horn to dampen the horn a bit (no pic of that either).
The 2nd pic us the speaker cable I made for the center channel.
20201118_134403.jpg
20201118_152405.jpg

chrapladm

Staff member
Progress progress. :T Look forward in your testing results. PLUS nice to learn from your thread before I start mine.

chrapladm

Staff member
What are you going to build?
I am wanting to build a synergy horn using the TPL200, Clestion mids and either six 10's or pair of 15's. I was looking at build something with a similar footprint as the J7 from Danley. I maybe limited with the height of my cabinet because the TPL's vertical dispersion but I will see what I can do. I will go with an 80 x 30 setup.

Lots of variables but I love the TPL sound. If I knew how I would make a TPL combiner with the mids and build the SH. Then I could have my footprint that I want. I will be building three of them so who knows. One maybe a center channel that is wide and the others are vertical. My projects take forever but things are finally turning around for me so projects are going to finally begin.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I am wanting to build a synergy horn using the TPL200, Clestion mids and either six 10's or pair of 15's. I was looking at build something with a similar footprint as the J7 from Danley. I maybe limited with the height of my cabinet because the TPL's vertical dispersion but I will see what I can do. I will go with an 80 x 30 setup.

Lots of variables but I love the TPL sound. If I knew how I would make a TPL combiner with the mids and build the SH. Then I could have my footprint that I want. I will be building three of them so who knows. One maybe a center channel that is wide and the others are vertical. My projects take forever but things are finally turning around for me so projects are going to finally begin.
Stay tuned... I will be starting another pair that will be made from bendable plywood and mdf. This pair will be modeled off of the short side of the horn and will be a square synergy horn. It will be 25" x25" x the sane depth as my current ones.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I spent a little time today, and I have all the angles required to make 1 side of the new square synergy horn. The 1st one will be out of bendable plywood and 3/4" MDF. I think I will recess the woofer rings ( I will make it wide enough of a recess to account for the surrounds not hitting too) into the side of the horn so the woofer will be closer to the horn., and also give me a way to mount the horns with studs. I am thinking 1/8" -1/4" recess with 1/8" being pretty close to the thickness of one of my horns (the thickness varies from 1 horn to another). With the mdf the pieces can all be glued and clamped to the bendable plywood once I make new longer pieces for the the actual horn (today wss just to figure out the angles to use to conform to the original the best I could). I will also try one with MDF connected with biscuits, and if it works out...the plan is to make the horn out of solid wood. I am attaching a pic of what it looks like on the horn mockup. It looks flat in the picture, but it is conforming to the short side of the horn pretty nicely.
20201203_153301.jpg

Last edited:

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
How does impulse response and phase response affect the sound of speakers? I am thinking impulse is dynamics, and phase is soundstage...am I right or is there more to it?

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Final tune is now done.Sounds great! Next is to get the other amp built for the surrounds,
heights, and then the smaller square versions of these out of wood.
As you can see I have null for the center. I think it is because of the depth of the room, and I cannot put any panels in my wifes kitchen or on the front door. I only have 2 bass traps on the front corners. When I can get some fabric for more panels, I plan on covering the concrete portions of the front wall with panels. Once that is done I will try some side wall panels too.
20201222_151044.jpg

Last edited:

Kakkadu

How does impulse response and phase response affect the sound of speakers? I am thinking impulse is dynamics, and phase is soundstage...am I right or is there more to it?
You're partially correct. The impulse response affects some of the dynamics but does not reflect it. Electrostatic panels have an excellent impulse response but they're not perceived as too dynamic speakers (their dynamic sound exists in the upper frequency though). The speaker phase hasn't been perceived as critical in controlled ABX tests but it's important that whatever the phase is, it's symmetrical on both channels. Personally I've found that there is some difference when the phase is flat but analytical data does not support my personal experience.

Top Bottom