2 way Danley Synergy build

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Stunning, beautiful and amazing... I hope they sound stunning, beautiful and amazing... Lol... And you didn't fill them with activated carbon... :cool:
I might try some Roxul in the cabinet this time. I had the cabinet made out of 1" this time, with the front baffle1 1/2".

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I finished assembling the center channel today. I made a wiring harness for the center also that is close to the same as the left and right channel harnesses. I took a picture of the harness in the speaker, but forgot to get a pic of it with the Roxul in the cabinet. I would take the back off again to take a pic, but the rear panel is very close fitting and I do not want to chance damaging it as I already got 2 scratches on the side when I was moving the speaker on the carpet. Apparently there was a couple of kitty litter granules and they dug 2 big scratches in it. My carpenter said he can fix it, but it will be inside of the rack and not seen so I will leave it for now. I also put dynamat on the horn to dampen the horn a bit (no pic of that either).
The 2nd pic us the speaker cable I made for the center channel.
20201118_134403.jpg
20201118_152405.jpg

chrapladm

Staff member
Progress progress. :T Look forward in your testing results. PLUS nice to learn from your thread before I start mine.

chrapladm

Staff member
What are you going to build?
I am wanting to build a synergy horn using the TPL200, Clestion mids and either six 10's or pair of 15's. I was looking at build something with a similar footprint as the J7 from Danley. I maybe limited with the height of my cabinet because the TPL's vertical dispersion but I will see what I can do. I will go with an 80 x 30 setup.

Lots of variables but I love the TPL sound. If I knew how I would make a TPL combiner with the mids and build the SH. Then I could have my footprint that I want. I will be building three of them so who knows. One maybe a center channel that is wide and the others are vertical. My projects take forever but things are finally turning around for me so projects are going to finally begin.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I am wanting to build a synergy horn using the TPL200, Clestion mids and either six 10's or pair of 15's. I was looking at build something with a similar footprint as the J7 from Danley. I maybe limited with the height of my cabinet because the TPL's vertical dispersion but I will see what I can do. I will go with an 80 x 30 setup.

Lots of variables but I love the TPL sound. If I knew how I would make a TPL combiner with the mids and build the SH. Then I could have my footprint that I want. I will be building three of them so who knows. One maybe a center channel that is wide and the others are vertical. My projects take forever but things are finally turning around for me so projects are going to finally begin.
Stay tuned... I will be starting another pair that will be made from bendable plywood and mdf. This pair will be modeled off of the short side of the horn and will be a square synergy horn. It will be 25" x25" x the sane depth as my current ones.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I spent a little time today, and I have all the angles required to make 1 side of the new square synergy horn. The 1st one will be out of bendable plywood and 3/4" MDF. I think I will recess the woofer rings ( I will make it wide enough of a recess to account for the surrounds not hitting too) into the side of the horn so the woofer will be closer to the horn., and also give me a way to mount the horns with studs. I am thinking 1/8" -1/4" recess with 1/8" being pretty close to the thickness of one of my horns (the thickness varies from 1 horn to another). With the mdf the pieces can all be glued and clamped to the bendable plywood once I make new longer pieces for the the actual horn (today wss just to figure out the angles to use to conform to the original the best I could). I will also try one with MDF connected with biscuits, and if it works out...the plan is to make the horn out of solid wood. I am attaching a pic of what it looks like on the horn mockup. It looks flat in the picture, but it is conforming to the short side of the horn pretty nicely.
20201203_153301.jpg

Last edited:

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
How does impulse response and phase response affect the sound of speakers? I am thinking impulse is dynamics, and phase is soundstage...am I right or is there more to it?

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Final tune is now done.Sounds great! Next is to get the other amp built for the surrounds,
heights, and then the smaller square versions of these out of wood.
As you can see I have null for the center. I think it is because of the depth of the room, and I cannot put any panels in my wifes kitchen or on the front door. I only have 2 bass traps on the front corners. When I can get some fabric for more panels, I plan on covering the concrete portions of the front wall with panels. Once that is done I will try some side wall panels too.
20201222_151044.jpg

Last edited:

Kakkadu

How does impulse response and phase response affect the sound of speakers? I am thinking impulse is dynamics, and phase is soundstage...am I right or is there more to it?
You're partially correct. The impulse response affects some of the dynamics but does not reflect it. Electrostatic panels have an excellent impulse response but they're not perceived as too dynamic speakers (their dynamic sound exists in the upper frequency though). The speaker phase hasn't been perceived as critical in controlled ABX tests but it's important that whatever the phase is, it's symmetrical on both channels. Personally I've found that there is some difference when the phase is flat but analytical data does not support my personal experience.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Well it has been a whi,e since I posted up anything on my next project... a smaller all wood version of
my big boys. Post number 83 shows the template piece I made to determine the contour and is talked about first in this post.

I started by cutting a piece of 1/8" plywood and attached it to the short side of the k402 horn. Next I cut pieces of mdf at differnt angles and laid them on the 1/8" plywood to match the contour of the horn. Once I was done with that I took the individual piece of MDF and glued them to the plywood on 3 sides, and clamped them to the plywood and horn. Once that was done I went to a friend and he trued up the pieces the wood store had cut for me. The final cut size was 23 1/4" x 21". He then showed me how to cut a kerf and then cut a kerf 1" from the edge. Next I cut a kerf every 1/2" until I had 13 kerfs per piece. I am using 3/8" Birch plywood, and I cut kerfs down to about 1 1/2 ply...I think it is 8 ply plywood. (Layers per thickness of ply). Then my friend cut me 3 pieces of wood (matching the contour I had made earlier) for the jig. I put the jig together yesterday and today I did a trial assembly of 1 side of the horn. Next I plan on getting the grooves filled with bondo... I am planning on placing it on the k402 short side and tracing the horn so I can trace one piece for cutting.. Each horn will be comprised of 2 pieces cut to the contour of the horn, and 2 will be 23 1/4" x 21". All 4 pieces are kerfed and the 15" woofers will be attached to the 23 1/4" x 21" pieces.

I am not quite sure how I should get them to fit together properly... I am thinking of making a simple frame the size of the horn mouth and then making a 2" x 2" piece of wood for the horn throat. I would also make a piece of wood bigger than the horn mouth to attach the mouth frame too, and in the center of the mouth attach a piece of wood or metal rod that would hold the 2"x2" piece for aligning the throat end of the horn.

I am still contemplating making it 2 layers thick for ease of assembly with the outside layer being MDF that is veneered on each side...not sure yet though.
How does that sound? Suggestions?

Pics are of the jig with ine side in place awaiting bondo for the grooves.
side (1).jpg
top (1).jpg

Last edited:

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I went to my friends shop again and since I now know more about how to make a jig...I had him make them on his CNC. Now I will have 2 forming jigs that are identical, and one jig for setting the cuts for the 2 curved side panels. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we will be assembling rhe 1st one.

Last edited:

chrapladm

Staff member
Look forward in seeing your jigs. Will hopefully give me some inspiration and ideas for my own.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
After gaining all this woodworking experience, is there a JBL Paragon build in your future? :whistling:

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Just picked out my woofers for the new Mini MEHs....
Celestion ftr15-3070e.

I have 4 coming so I can test them out with 4 woofers and with 2 woofers. I am hoping this will bring up my 20hz spl.
I am thinking there will be a 3db increase from spec for running a 2nd woofer and another 3db for running 4 woofers...plus 12db corner loading close to 2 walls.

My last measurement with 2 kappa 15Cs is in pic #1... with Pic #2 showing factory spec for 1 kappa 15c. Pic #3 shows factory spec for 1 Celestion. In addition the impedance around the lower frequencies is much lower...so I am assuming my amp will be able to drive it easier.

Does that sound right?

Old left channel compared to new after amps .png
Screenshot_20211124-102904_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20211124-102810_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom