1MORE's Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones, A Full Review

Manufacturer & Model
1MORE Triple Driver In-ear Headphone 1MEFE0002
MSRP
$79
Link
https://usa.1more.com/products/triple-driver-in-ear-headphones
Highlights
World's first THX Certified headphone, three-driver array for better accuracy across the frequency spectrum, ships with multiple eartips and hard carry case, warm and detailed sound.
Summary
1More's Triple Driver In-Ear Headphone represents a balance between price and performance, delivering quality sound that's bathed in warmth and detail. The headphones ship in attractive packaging that's loaded with extras, including multiple eartips, a carry case, and a clip. Listening sessions revealed plenty of bass and excellent midrange detail. While lacking overt sparkle at the top end, the Triple Driver In-Ears provide hours of fatigue-free performance.
full?d=1618151725.png

Ask any baseball fan, and they're bound to agree: a majority of the game's most exhilarating moments involve the number three. There's the triple play. Striking out the side means three batters received three strikes for three outs. Even the late, great Hank Aaron once acknowledge that a triple is far more exciting than a home run. Of course, grand slams are exciting too, but even they require three runners to be on base.

It just so happens that today's review subject, 1MORE's Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones, also has strong ties to the number three. As the name implies, it shuns a single driver design in favor of a three-driver array. It's also is the first headphone – ever – to receive certification from an organization easily recognized by three letters: THX.

Overview
full?d=1618151725.png

1MORE's Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones might not carry a price tag that screams refinement, but they certainly have the look and feel of something special. Graced by attractive metal appointments and thoughtful design elements, the Triple Driver In-Ears have been on the market for nearly five years. Originally released with a $100 price tag and recently receiving THX's stamp of approval, the headphones currently sell for $79 with the added benefit of a redesigned mini-stereo jack.

Holding the Triple Drivers reveals plenty of quality, thanks to machined aluminum earpieces and a tangle-free Kevlar woven cable. An attractive aluminum splitter anchors two lightweight rubberized cables, one of which carries a built-in MEMS microphone and buttons to control volume, playback, and incoming calls. On the opposite end, the Kevlar cable terminates to a 3.5mm mini-stereo jack at a right angle, which is functionally convenient for connections to a laptop or DAC.

full?d=1618151725.png

While most earphones can coax 20Hz-20kHz from a single driver, the Triple Driver In-Ear employs a dynamic driver and two balanced armatures. This design assigns sound reproduction duties, allowing each driver to focus on a particular frequency range. The result is playback between 20Hz to 40kHz (32 ohms, sensitivity: 99dB).

Unboxing
full?d=1618151726.jpg

It's never a great idea to judge a book by its cover, but 1MORE's design team certainly suggests otherwise. The Triple Drivers ship in a high-quality box that resembles a book, complete with a magnetic clasp and textured side surfaces that resemble pages. Being a fan of the unboxing experience, the Triple Drivers scratched that itch with an A+ presentation.

The box opens to reveal the motherlode of accessories and some nifty artistic embellishments. You'll find a shirt clip to keep the Triple Drivers’ cord from flopping around, an airplane adapter, a rigid faux-leather carrying case, and a user guide. And to ensure a perfect fit, 1MORE includes five sizes of silicone tips and three sizes of foam tips.

I settled on 12mm tips of the silicon variety, paired the Triple Drivers to HELM Audio’s MQA-certified BOLT DAC/AMP, and fired up the audio libraries of TIDAL.

Listening Impressions
full?d=1618151726.jpg

Tapping TIDAL's Masters and HiFi catalogs, I waded through favorite albums like Deadmau5's here's the drop!, Bob Marley's Legend: The Best of Bob Marley and the Wailers, Norah Jones's Day Breaks, and The Cars' The Cars, and the experience was exceptional (especially considering the price point).

Overall fit and comfort were top-notch. The 12mm silicon tips weren't irritating, even during marathon listening sessions, and provided excellent ambient noise suppression. In fact, their ability to cut down external noise was nearly akin to an active noise canceling experience. The Triple Drivers never loosened or fell from my ears during listening sessions, nor did they require constant readjustments – the fit was precise.

1MORE's marketing materials claim that Luca Bignardi, a Grammy award-winning sound engineer, tuned the Triple Drivers' sound. Admittedly, I haven't a clue who Luca is, nor am I familiar with his audio preferences, but the result is worthy of applause. The Triple Drivers' sonic signature is rich, bathed in warmth, and complete with a detailed midrange. Its low-end capabilities, as revealed by the likes of Deadmau5 and Orbital, are healthy, while its treble is present enough to extrapolate detail without resulting in fatigue.

I was able to wear the Triple Drivers for hours on end and never grew tired of the experience. There were moments where a bit more snap and zing in the high-frequency department would have been appreciated – a song like Maroon 5's "What Lovers Do" comes to mind – but, ultimately, the balance and texture of the Triple Drivers benefits a tonality that shies away from brightness.

I connected the Triple Driver's to 1MORE's Hi-Definition Bluetooth Adapter (reviewed here) to allow for freedom of movement. While not necessarily ideal for extremely active moments (such as running), the Triple Drivers are perfectly suited for general activities without wearability issues.

Conclusion
full?d=1618151726.jpg

1MORE's Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones represent a value that's tough to beat, especially considering a $79 price point and street prices as low as $63. The total package provides access to an array of ear tips and an attractive carry case, in addition to an above-average fit and finish. With a warm and textured sound, the Triple Drivers are a perfect match for picky listeners who yearn for a detailed sound presentation. Bass is also impressive and present. Despite a slightly soft top-end, the Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones are easy to recommend for their wearability and listenability. Intelligent Buy.

full?d=1497080930.png

1MORE's Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones Specifications
  • Type: In-Ear
  • Color: Sliver/Black
  • Impedance: 32 Ω
  • Sensitivity: 99 dB
  • Frequency Range: 20-40,000 Hz
  • Rated Power: 5 mW
  • Weight: 18 g
  • Length: 1.25 m
  • Plug: 3.5 mm
  • In-line Remote Control: Included
  • Wire Material: Enameled Copper Wire
  • Executive Standard: GB/T 14471-2013
  • Model: 1MEFE0002

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
I've kept a pair of these in the console of my last three vehicles, just to ensure I can get a hifi fix if I am away from or have forgotten to bring my regulars.

A classic budget piece!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Thanks for chiming in, Dennis. I'd have to agree - these straddle that budget/performance line perfectly. If you can snag a pair for $60 bucks, it's a no-brainer! You should pick up the Bluetooth adapter and keep that with them. It's a great piece of gear, too.

Top Bottom