16TB HDDS

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I have decided I am going to use my unraid NAS strictly for backup of my media. This means I need to get 30-32TB in HDDs. I can only hook up 2 external HDD ps to my Dune HD PRO 4k streamer. One of the things Indo need is to be able to access the media from other streamers too. I believe I can hook them up to the Dune, and share them as a media server.

If I purchase 2 165B HDDs... what do I need? I am thinking I just need a 2 drive bay dock...is 5hat all I need? I am not going to do a Raid setup.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I looked at the price, and then chose to get 3 10TB Western Digital desktop drives since they were affordable, and quiet. Now a question... I would prefer to run them all on 1 Dune HD Pro player which only has 1 USB 3 port. Can I use a USB HUB, and plug all 3 into it, or is that going to be a problem? I want to access them from multiple players (not a t the same time). Will a hub slow them down?

Last edited:

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Other Speakers or Equipment
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
I'm not too familiar with the Dune. The way my system is set up is I have a QNAP TS-253BE hooked up to my network with Plex and all of my ATVs/Shields can see that and play whatever I have stored on it. Currently that is all of my 4K HDR collection, my Blu-rays and some of my DVDs. It also includes some TV shows as I have a tuner hooked up and Plex DVR records some OTA shows for me. All of that only gets me to ~8.75TBs of my current 14.5TBs available. I was currently looking at expansion for the future and my only options are a QNAP DAS. Luckily, I'm a ways off from dropping more money on storage.

So back to the Dune. Would you just plug the external storage into the Dune? Can the dune be seen elsewhere on the network? If so you should be good to go. If not, you may want to look into a NAS/Plex combo.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I currently have a UnRaid 30TB NAS, but recently I got the Dune players, and the combo is causing pauses in the middle of movies. I had a problem when I moved to M3xico when a HDD or 2 failed somehow from the move. I replaced the HDDs, and then left it until about a year ago. I discovered some movies would pause, and thought it was the parity rebuild. I just got a USB 8TB WD, and copied a few movies that were pausing, and found out there was no problem with the movies. I have been thinking for quite a while about getting another setup to play the movies from, and just use Unraid to backup all of them.
One of my Dune players will accept a HDD to put inside it, and also a SATA external as I recall, plus a USB3 port for more external drives. The other only accepts external USB drives. I contacted Dune, and they said that I can also access the drives from other media players, and gave me the info on how to reach them from another setup. We will see what happens next week when the 3 10TB USB external drives arrive.

The nice thing about the 10TB HDDs is that I can then move the NAS to another room, and only turn it on when I need to add media files to it. I really like the Dune players especially with the latest Kodi, and the AEON MQ8 interface (I use MyMovies for metadata, and the combo is great).

I also have Plex, and JRiver in my setup... I like to have multiple ways to play media in case Murphy shows up. :)

SeanMiddleton

Use vortexbox (vortexbox.org). Its free, open source. Easy to build using a lower power, fanless motherboard (e.g.J1900 series boards, ASROCK, ASUS, Gigabyte). Use a 'pico' power supply module and 12V brick. Most motherboards have 4 SATA sockets so you can use 4 drives. This gives you a media server, ripper, torrent server, subsonic/Bliss/Plex. Airplay server........

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Use vortexbox (vortexbox.org). Its free, open source. Easy to build using a lower power, fanless motherboard (e.g.J1900 series boards, ASROCK, ASUS, Gigabyte). Use a 'pico' power supply module and 12V brick. Most motherboards have 4 SATA sockets so you can use 4 drives. This gives you a media server, ripper, torrent server, subsonic/Bliss/Plex. Airplay server........
Will a celeron be powerful enough to stream the media if it is 4k (no transcoding)? Do you know if any of these boards that are under $200 would support a PCI nic card too... I have a 8 port board from my old Ana's that would then allow me to expand beyond 4 SATA HDDs when I need to down the road.

Here is an example...would this be a good one to get?

I live in Mexico, so I do not have a store to go down to and buy... I need to order online and want to make sure I get wpeverthing that is needed the first time as returning is a real pain.

Last edited:

SeanMiddleton

That Motherboard looks fine for a vortex install. Just check that the BIOS can handle legacy boot. Remember you'll need to add memory

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Yes. Booting from USB. A few motherboards only support the new BIOS (called UEFI) which isnt compatible with Vortexbox. Legacy boot is often refereed to as 'CSM' in the BIOS
This is what the website says... I am assuming this will not work.

3171.jpg
GIGABYTE UEFI DualBIOS™
3276.jpg
GIGABYTE motherboards feature GIGABYTE DualBIOS™, an exclusive technology from GIGABYTE that protects arguably one of your PC's most crucial components, the BIOS. GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ means that your motherboard has both a 'Main BIOS' and a 'Backup BIOS', making users protected from BIOS failure due to virus attack, hardware malfunction, improper OC settings or power failure during the update process.

Top Bottom