Yesterday

Movie: :4.5stars:
4K Video: :4.5stars:
Video: :4stars:
Audio: :5stars:
Extras: :4stars:
Final Score: :4.5stars:

Movie

There is almost no band on earth that is widely regarded as the father of Rock n’ Roll as “The Beatles”. Sure, Elves started everything off rocking and rolling back in the day, but “The Beatles” were the inspiration for everything rebellious and “rock n’ rolling” during the 60s after Elvis had faded from sight. Hundreds upon hundreds of bands have taken inspiration from their songs, ranging from the light and fluffy “Beach Boys”, up to “Black Sabbath” and “The Foo Fighters” themselves. You have to ask yourself just one question though. If “The Beatles” had never existed in this world, how would this world have turned out (musically speaking), and what difference would that make to us today? The harsh and true answer is probably very little would have changed, as there are so many facets and aspects of the music industry of that time, that we can be almost assured somebody else would have stepped up and taken in their roles to a certain extent, and continued on the path we’re on now. However, for one man, it could mean their entire world.

Jack Malik (Himesh Patel) is that one man I’m talking about. He’s a struggling musician in Suffock, England, who’s barely able to get by with his part time big box store job and the few gigs his manager Ellie (Lily James) can get him. He’s bound and determined to give up his attempts at making a music career for himself when fate intervenes in a big way. After a strange power outage inadvertently causes a bus to run into Jack’s bicycle, the musician wakes up to find out that he’s in an alternate timeline, or at least in an “altered” timeline, because no one knows who “The Beatles” are. Dumbfounded and shocked, Jack realizes he has an opportunity. “The Beatles” were one of the greatest rock bands of all time, and NO ONE but he can remember they existed.

Seeing his big chance, Jack begins to sing their songs and crafts a rough studio demo album, actually drawing the attention of Ed Sheeran (played by Ed Sheeran) himself, who gives him the break he’s been looking for. Remembering the songs as best he can, Jack turns his Beatles knowledge into a smash hit success, as he navigates the pitfalls of the music production industry, and tries his very best to not get caught at his musical theft, or worse yet, make a mockery of the most iconic rock band in world history.

Yesterday is a smash hit by director Danny Boyle, and a magical blending of multiple genres. At first it may seem like a musical biopic, but upon closer inspection is a Hallmark movie that actual WORKS, a sci-fi film with time alternate reality elements, a love story, and most importantly, a love story to “The Beatles”. It’s a charming little flick that doesn’t overdo a single one of the multiple facets to the story, exploring themes like staying true to yourself (the most common and obvious one), finding out what’s important to you, and absolute adoration and love of a band beyond belief. By all accounts this film shouldn’t work as well as it does, but somehow Danny Boyle managed to pull it off amazingly well.

Boyle’s photography style is magnificent here, heavily utilizing repetitious material with copious amounts of dutch angles, not to mention the magical music that just permeates the entire film. Himesh is perfect as the awkward Jack Malik, and Lily James is so adorable as Ellie you just want to reach through the screen and give her a big hug. Honorable mention goes out to Kate McKinnon, who just revels in the hilariously droll and semi evil manager that he employs, and literally steals every scene she’s in.

Rating:

Rated PG-13 for suggestive content and language

4K Video: :4.5stars: Video: :4stars:
I came out from watching the Blu-ray of Yesterday thinking “this is a rather nice transfer, I hope the 4K UHD is this good”. Well, that question was answered rather rapidly when I popped in the 4K UHD disc and promptly was blown off my feet. The 1080p Blu-ray was a very good transfer, but the 4K UHD is a significant improvement over said disc, offering some rather large leaps in textural details and color reproduction. It should be noted that Yesterday was filmed in 8K and then transferred to a 4K digital master, and the 4K UHD disc takes full advantage of that resolution. Details are incredibly sharp and clear, with intimate clothing details and facial details just as vivid as the many nuanced backgrounds. Watch as Jack steps out on stage at Wimbley. The entire backdrop of the stage shows off little lines and big screen separations that you can’t notice as well on the Blu-ray. Also you can see fans in the background of the audience showing up cleanly and distinctly, rather than a large mass like the Blu-ray tends to do. The HDR+ presentation is gorgeous, adding an incredible amount of pop and saturation levels to the color scheme. Bright stage lights, clothing, green foliage on the English countryside all seem deeper and richer, adding a sense of depth and power to the image that just has to be seen to be understood. Black crush and banding are non existent, and overall this is one of the Better 4K UHD releases I’ve seen this year, especially in terms of upgrade over the 1080p Blu-ray companion.

Audio: :5stars:
Yesterday’s Dolby Atmos track is a wonderfully rounded track that really excels on all fronts without bringing attention to any one piece of it. It survives not by standing out as something different and unique, or loud and aggressive, but by being evenly balanced and simply perfectly rounded. Dialog is crisp and clean as can be, and the surrounds are actively engaged with all of the music that just saturates the mix. The mains are airy and light, with sharp dialog and lilting music, while the LFE pulsates and hums throughout the movie, sometimes lifting up and full on roaring with sheer power (such as during the last 20 minutes of the film). There’s nothing to say about the track except that it is PERFECT! There’s some ambient use of the overheads during some of Jack’s concerts, and during the train station, but even with mild overhead usage this is still such a light and airy track that I can’t fault it in any way.

Extras: :4stars:
• Feature Commentary with Director Danny Boyle and Writer/Producer Richard Curtis
• Alternate Ending
• Deleted Scenes
• Live at Abbey Road Studios
• Alternate Opening
• Gag Reel
• A Talented Duo
• Playing for Real
• Soul Mates
• Ed Sheeran: From Stadium to Screen
• Agent of Comedy: Kate McKinnon
• A Conversation with Richard & Ed

Final Score: :4.5stars:

Yesterday shouldn’t work as well as it does, but as I said earlier in the review, Danny Boyle just pulls it off somehow. The flick is charming, sweet, completely intoxicating as a Beatles fan, and just so enjoyable for multiple viewings. I initially wrote the film off as a cheap Beatles wannabee movie from the trailer, but I was sucked in nearly immediately and couldn’t stop watching until the credits stopped rolling. The 4K UHD is a BIG improvement over the Blu-ray in terms of video quality, and certainly my choice for purchasing if you have the available equipment (or just want to future proof your collection). Highly recommended.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Himesh Patel, Sophia Di Martino, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran, Ellise Chappell, Meera Syal, Joel Fry
Directed by: Danny Boyle
Written by: Jack Barth, Richard Curtis
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 HEVC
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core), Spanish, French DD+ 7.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Studio: Universal
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 116 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: September 24th, 2019

Recommendation: Highly Recommended

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Sounds like it might a pretty good movie... got my interest up for sure. My parents were not music fans when I was a child in the early and mid 60's, so I was never indoctrinated with the Beatles. My parents were all about Charlie Pride and Boots Randolph... then there was Lawrence Welk and Hee Haw music. BUT... I was no doubt the biggest Elvis fan on planet earth. I never missed an Elvis movie and wore my mother out until she finally got me an Elvis album that I could play on our wooden floor console record player, which I wore out as well, along with the album. So I can understand how it would be without the Beatles... never really listened to them much at all until a lot later in life. I still don't play their music much, but I like it, and the various covers by other artist. I look back now and see how big of an influence they were on the music industry, so it would be interesting to see perhaps what it "could" have been like, however hypothetical it might be. Wish I could have jumped time zones and no one had ever heard of Elvis... of course then I'd need a singing voice... cough... :whistling:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Wow, Mike. You gave this flick quite a bump on my list. Just placed my order for the 4K UHD copy. Look forward to giving this one a spin.

Jack

More  
Integra 9.8 pre/pro, Denon 4520ci
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA5
Additional Amp
Darid I30
Other Amp
Hafler 220
Oppo
Front Speakers
Klipsch KLF10
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch C7
Surround Speakers
Various
Subwoofers
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Lita Audio Tube Dac, MyDac, Home made Music server
Video Display Device
Panasonic Viera Plasma, 65"
Remote Control
Lots
Loved it, Loved it, Loved it.
Such an innocent movie that made me feel good all over....or was that the Dave Clark 5 ? Never the less, a must watch.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains