Yamaha RXA680 YPAO question

i_BUILD

I am fairly new to the real home theater world... I have 4 subs in my system and studied and implemented a DSP over the last few weeks. I have the subs positioned for the best response in my room and have applied EQ to where I like it, Whenever I run YPAO placing the YPAO mic in the same exact position as my UMIK1 YPAO is off 1-2 db on average from keeping all speakers at the same reference level so I have to re-adjust. In addition; on the A680, for my setup the mains and center are always flipped to Large after running YPAO.

I end up having to flip them back to small in order to take advantage of my sub setup. The A680 has a UI that is different than the more expensive models as one of the lower end avantage receivers. When I go into the settings option for EQ either PEQ is selected (after running YPAO) and there are no options to configure as it is protected... or GEQ is available which can be manually set... or simply OFF.

YPAO appears to have full control of PEQ and as I mentioned as part of running YPAO my mains and center are set to large. By me swicthing to small is it invalidating the PEQ settings that YPAO is making that I cant even see?

Also I have to tweak the subwoofer distance in order to get the crossover point to look right... probably because YPAO is setting the mains and center to large and dealing with crossover differently.

Short of getting another receiver... has anyone had success with a similar setup? If so what was your approach?

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
It’s very common for these types of room correction systems to (1) be off by 1-2dB post calibration and (2) to set speakers to large. Total pain!

The sub distances are going to look off... but, remember, they are set that way in order to account for latency introduced by DSP associated with the sub. The longer distance actually equates to less of a delay for the sub, thus allowing them to sound matched to your speakers (timing-wise).

it’s always a good idea to manual check the channel levels, post-calibration, with a handheld SPL meter. Make sure your output level is set to zero (or reference) and play test tones from the menu settings... manually check with your meter and make fines adjustments.

Switching speakers from large to small shouldn’t impact the YPAO functions post calibration.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
You could use the Dayton DSP to tame the largest peaks in your subs, then run YPAO, which should help maintain your levels better. If you have peaks when you run YPAO, they will cause your sub level to be lower, as these auto-EQ systems usually average the output... and the higher peaks cause the output to be higher and YPAO lowers it to compensate and match the mains. It does this BEFORE it adds EQ filters, so once it runs EQ filters to tame those peaks, your bass is too low, and as Todd mentions, you'll have to adjust it up. However... YPAO does not do that great of a job on bass, so having the DSP should help in that regards, and the YPAO would have to try to fix as much. When I had the CX-5100 the YPAO didn't do much of anything for my bass.

Top Bottom