Yamaha HTR 5550 AV Receiver connecting to Quad 11L Active and a powered subwoofer?

sndraco

Hi all

I don't know if this is possible with the equipment I have. I am running PC audio out through USB to a Topping D10 DAC. That has both a SPDIF (RCA) Digital Outs, and Analog Outs.

I connect the Analog Outs (as figured the DAC in the Topping is better than the DAC in the old Yamaha receiver) to the CD audio inputs on the Yamaha. The Yamaha doesn't have pre-outs, however it does have a VCR analog audio inputs and VCR analog audio outputs (linelevel), and when I connect these to my Quads, it works. However connecting the subwoofer output to the powered sub (Bic F12) and I get nothing out of the sub.

I have tried setting speakers to small in receiver settings but that doesn't work (my guess is the speaker settings only apply to the speaker level outputs). And on the front panel it shows left, right signal coming in but no LFE.

Any ideas on what to try to get both signal to my Quads and to the subwoofer. I have attached a pic/schematic of the back panel. And if this should be posted to speaker forum instead pls lmk.

Thanks

S

PS. I did try the digital output of the Topping into the digital CD input on the Yamaha, and then the VCR analog audio ouputs but didn't get any sound. (Could be an issue with the Topping settings too).

Attachments

• HTR back panel.png
    HTR back panel.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 24

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
My guess is your source, the Topping D10 DAC, is two channel stereo... Where would the LFE "channel" input part be coming from? Don't confuse low frequency stereo with the LFE "channel"... You might try setting the AVR to do some signal conversion to a multi channel setting like DTS or ProLogic and see if that gives you some base to your sub...

Last edited:

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Building on what ddude003 said, any use of the Yamaha to get a signal to the sub from your dac output will necessarily mean the Yamaha’s dacs will be used. If it’s even possible to use the analog outs from your dac to the Yamaha to get a signal to the sub out jack, then the Yamaha would first have to convert the analog signal from the dac back to digital, then do its bass management processing digitally, and then convert it back to analog again. Not optimal.

The best you will accomplish with this equipment is using the dac to convert usb input to toslink or coax output and using the Yamaha dacs and bass management.

If you like the sound you get with your dac, amps and speakers then you might look at getting a sub with left and right rca inputs and a variable phase control (not a switch) for time alignment, as well as the variable low pass crossover adjustment. There are many subs that will fit the bill, including this one

sndraco

Thanks all, appreciate it. I was confusing low frequency stereo with LFE. And yes to use the Yamaha would have to do as JStewart suggests which isn't optimal so will not use it and buy a different sub/equipment.

S

Top Bottom