full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1494895451.jpg

Movie: :3stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras: :3stars:
Final Score: :3.5stars:

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1494911803.jpg
Movie

I feel like that old man who grumbles at “those young punks” when I have to mention to a group of my horror fanatic friends that the Willard with Crisin Glover is NOT the original film with that title. In fact, there was one many many years prior, and even a sequel named Ben (which I will be reviewing shortly) that started the creepy idea of having a man controlling a horde of insatiable rats. Going back and watching this movie after at LEAST a decade and half of abstinence has me realizing that the 1971 Willard may not have aged as well as I thought it had. Bruce Davison will forever BE Willard in my mind, and he does a fantastic job, but the curious 1970s habit of using “Disneyish” music (including a Disney cast member as his mother) leaves it feeling less horrific, and more an oddity than anything in the horror genre. I still like the movie for what it is, and had a blast chewing my way through the cheese, but fans may be the one to appreciate this offering more than the newcomer.

Willard (Bruce Davison) is a mousy little milk sop of a man who has been beaten down and belittled most of his life. His family started a giant manufacturing company, but after his father died, his partner Al Martin (Ernest Borgnine) stole the company from Willard and his mother Henrietta (Elsa Lanchester, most memorably known as The Nanny who quits at the beginning of Mary Poppins) leaving Willard as a lackey. Al pretty much stomps over everyone in the company, but with Willard’s mild manners he steamrolls the poor boy like no other. It doesn’t help anything when Willard comes home to a manipulative mother who puts excessive guilt trips to try and get her “baby boy” to do what she feels he needs to be done. The poor boy’s only outlet seems to be in a little rat that he finds down in the basement of the house. A rat that he saves from extermination.

Soon the boy finds out that this rat (whom he calls ben) is incredibly smart and seems to be able to read his mind. Anything Willard commands, Ben is able to carry out with pinpoint precision. Sooner rather than later, Willard gets sick and tired of being kicked around and decides to send his little rat minion, and all of the rest of the rats at Ben’s command, to terrorize those who have abused and belittled him for so many years. Only thing is, when you unleash the beast, sometimes it’s a little hard to control and Willard finds out just how much control he has over the rats in the twisted conclusion.
full?lightbox=1&update=1494911803.jpg
Willard is really the only character that you actually sympathize with in the entire film. Even though he’s supposed to be the main villain of the series, you actually root for his cause and wish the destruction that falls upon his persecutors. Even at the very end you feel sorry for the poor guy and wish his end had ended better for him considering his motivations. Bruce Davison does a magnificent job at giving Willard a mix of awkward embarrassment as well as a likeable spirit that actually blooms into something more magnanimous and admirable by the end. The rest of the cast (except for the young lady Joan, played by Sondra Locke) is purely despicable and truly deserving of their fate. Especially Ernest Borgnine’s character who chews up the scenery as the over the top mean boss Al Martin. He and Davison light up the screen whenever they’re in view (for completely opposite reasons) and act as the center point for the whole film.

I like the idea of Willard and hate to say that I actually LIKE the 2003 film starring Crispin Glover. It gets the menacing part down to a T (even though it’s hilariously bad), but still is nothing that special. The 1971 version of Willard is a strange film. It’s never really truly scary, but more of a look inside of a troubled mind and the punishment that comes from his turn to the dark side. There’s a light-hearted humor to it that seems at odds with the twisted storytelling, partially due to the use of the fluffy 70s music that feels more like a family film even though it’s got rats chewing through flesh! I won’t say that it’s a masterpiece of horror, but a nostalgic look back at an odd attempt of soul searching.

Rating:

Not Rated by the MPAA

Video: :4.5stars:
full?lightbox=1&update=1494911803.png
I am actually REALLY impressed with the 4K restoration done for
Willard thanks to Scream Factory. I’ve watched the movie a couple of times over the years on VHS and DVD, but the Blu-ray is simply marvelous to behold. The original negative appears to have been in great shape (or there was some extensive fiddling done to it) since there is almost no print damage and speckles or flecks are almost nonexistent on the pristine looking master. Colors are warm and inviting, with the soft oranges and yellows of the 1970s, mixed with a very natural looking grading to the skin tones. Contrast is well balanced and I can’t seem to find ANY faults with the dark levels. There’s some mild softness due to the shooting style, but I can’t seem to find any artifacting at all and the end result is a very VERY nice looking image that does the film every bit of justice and then some. Fine detail is exquisite, as you can see every piece of fur and twitching pink noses of the rates, and the glistening of Willard’s new car shines in the sun with impeccable detail. Simply put, an incredible looking restoration and encode from Scream Factory.

Audio: :4stars:
The film has come with a traditionalist 2.0 DTS-HD MA Mono track that seems to have really been well cared for. Mono tracks are a tricky thing considering how spacious we have gotten with 5.1, 7.0 and now full interactive Atmos and DTS:X tracks, but the simple Mono track is free of any discrepancies and is incredibly clear and spacious for just utilizing 2 channels. The squeaks of Ben and his minions are impeccably rendered and the vocals have no sounds of wavering issues or any other abnormalities. It’s simple, but very precise and clean considering the age and budget of the movie.

Extras: :3stars:
NEW 4K scan of the original camera negative (DTS Master Mono)
• NEW audio commentary with actor Bruce Davison
• NEW interview with actor Bruce Davison
• Original Theatrical Trailer
• Original TV Spot
• Original Radio Spots
• Still Gallery

Final Score: :3.5stars:

Willard 1971 is a bit of an odd film, and seems less “horrific” than it did 46 years ago. There’s almost a Disney like vibe that comes from the family friendly score that lilts along, and I had more than a few chuckles at Bruce Davison’s awkward character of Willard. I’m not saying it’s any worse than the 2000’s era Willard with our favorite creepy thin man, but the aging of the film is not as kind as some others I have seen. Still, it’s a deliciously twisted flick that feels like it’s more at home among the 60s than the 70s (besides the awful carpet and colors that was the bane of the 70s) and is fantastically presented on Blu-ray with a restored video encode and a great 2.0 Mono track for fans to enjoy. Add in the DVD edition to make it a combo pack and some new extras and it’s a very well rounded collector’s edition (my only fan niggle is that this and the sequel Ben didn’t come with a slipcover, but that’s just me being a collector’s snob right there). Very impressive package from Scream Factory and a must get for fans.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Bruce Davison, Elsa Lanchester, Sondra Locke
Directed by: Daniel Mann
Written by: Gilbert Ralston (Screenplay), Stephen Gilbert (Book)
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 AVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 2.0 Mono
Studio: Scream Factory
Rated: NR
Runtime: 95 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: May 16th, 2017

Recommendation: Must Get for Fans

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
What? Willard in 4K? You have got to be kidding me. I was 10 years old with this movie came out... and thought it was scary back then. I can't say I'd want to watch it today though... not really a fan I suppose.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
well, the master got a 4K master, sadly only 1080p Blu-ray, but yeah, this was a young "scare the poop out of me" childhood flick when I was like 7 or 8

tomorrow I've got the sequel Ben as well...supposedly it has a new scan, but not a wild 4k restoration like Willard got

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Sadly I missed watching this one. In fact I was not aware Ben was the sequel. I did enjoy the 2003 one though. I'll have to go back and watch the original and Ben. Thanks for the review.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Nice review Mike... curious, do you still have your VHS copy?

Good to see these old flicks get restoration treatments!

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
I think I do ,but it's stuck in a box somewhere. My last viewing was YEARS ago on the old DVD

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
and the restoration IS really beautiful. compare it against the sequel Ben and you'll see what I mean

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Just saw Willard. I enjoyed it but was a depressing film. The birthday celebration with the older folks implying he has no friends, the nagging mother, bully of a boss etc. Other then that the story was good. Bruce Davison was brave on how he handled the rats.
I don't think I could have worked with rats.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Yeah, definitely a bit of a depressing bit. It's creepy as all getout with that in mind. The remake was a lot creepier, but this one mastered the depressing aspect of the film's characters

Top Bottom