Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon SR5008
Front Speakers
Paradigm Signature 1
Surround Speakers
Klipsch
Subwoofers
Rythmik E15
Brand new to REW. I keep reading that measurements should be done with one front speaker and the subwoofer, but I haven't seen any explanation for this. My intuition says I should be running all the speakers, because that's the way I'm going to listen to music. If I EQ my system for just one speaker, won't the levels be off when I am running all of them?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
If I EQ my system for just one speaker, won't the levels be off when I am running all of them?

“EQ” and “levels” are not the same thing.

Typically you measure each speaker independently to see what its frequency response is. In a symmetrical room you can expect the front L/R and rear pairs to measure virtually identical, but if the room is asymmetrical, then you can expect that each speaker will measure differently, even if they are all matching speakers.

You’ll want to measure a front speaker with the subwoofer, to make sure the transition between the two is smooth. It’s probably best to do this with both front L/R speakers as well.

Not a bad idea to also measure the two front speakers together as well, without the sub. It’s possible to see a slight droop in the highs when measuring both together, although I personally haven’t seen it to be a problem. But if the highs show a reduced level compared to what you saw measuring them independently, it’s nothing to worry about. Meaning, don’t try to correct it with EQ.

P.S. Welcome to the Forum!

Regards,
Wayne

Top Bottom