Why no Output Volume displayed with ASIO?

Horacio Lewinski

I've been using an EMM-6 with Tascam US122mkII for a long time, and today I was trying to measure a driver (laptop>Tascam>Hypex UcD module>woofer) and couldn't adjust the volume to an appropriate level for measuring. I must be doing something wrong.

I selected ASIO, 48kHz, have calibration mic file and soundcard calibration files for 48kHz, and when I go to Check Levels and set SPL to 80dB SPL at 1m from the woofer using the volume knob on the Tascam, REW Input meter shows higher than -12dB level. If I reduce the Sweep Level, the SPL from the woofer goes down and if I adjust the Tascam knob to be back to 80dB I find myself in the same situation with Input reading higher than -12dB. If I run a measurement I hit clipping. If I lower the SPL the ambient noise (wind, since measuring outdoors) is too high vs signal.

The help box on REW, when doing the Check Levels routine, indicates I could adjust Output Volume on REW, but I'm not seeing that in the window. I recall it used to be there. How should I tackle this now?
FWIW, running V5.20.

Thank you in advance!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The OS volume controls do not affect ASIO so are not shown. Sounds like you have input monitoring active, make sure the Mon Mix knob is turned all the way to computer.

Horacio Lewinski

The OS volume controls do not affect ASIO so are not shown. Sounds like you have input monitoring active, make sure the Mon Mix knob is turned all the way to computer.
Thanks for the quick answer!

Yes, I had the Mon Mix turned all the way to computer.
How do I deactivate input monitoring?

Regards

Horacio Lewinski

To start with just try reducing the mic input gain.

How do I do that? From REW or the Tascam knob that shows a range from Mic to Line? The latter seems a mixing function and hence I was avoiding.

If from REW, how do I do that?

Thank you

Top Bottom