Whole house audio: Can I go wireless?

MediumRare

I am in the fortunate position of building a new house in the next few months and being able to plan audio for the whole house from scratch.

My dedicated listening area will be in the basement with a "high-end" two-channel + sub system. So that's no issue.

But what about the rest of the house? I'd like audio in the living room, dining room, kitchen etc. Can I avoid installing speaker wires at all and just put in electric points in the ceiling for active wi-fi or Bluetooth speakers? I figure I will save thousands on wiring and amps and be able to spend more on better speakers - if these ideal items even exist?

What should I do?

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
I'm sure you could. But should you?

I am currently doing whole home audio in my house. Due to the fact that my house is finished and the first floor is open floor plan I have a HEOS App controlled receiver X3400H in my living room (5.1 speakers) and a Heos amp powering two speakers connected to a tv across the way in the bar/eating space (2.0). Upstairs I will be using a Hoes Drive (rack mountable 4 zone 8 channel amp and controller) and in-ceiling speakers 2 speakers master bedroom/2 speakers guest room/2 speakers workout room/ 1 speaker in each bathroom. My Hometheater has a X8500H in it which is HEOS App controlled.

I can't image that wifi or bluetooth speakers will necessarily be cheaper or higher quality.
And then there is the aesthetics factor..
And I can't image that speaker wire install is cheaper than installing multiple electrical outlets in the ceilings.
Just have all the wire terminate in one place were you can install the amp/controller.
Have you decided on what ceiling speakers you would be using?

If my house was a new build I would have had them run speaker wire and in-ceiling speakers on the first floor.

Last edited:

MediumRare

Thanks, @phillihp23 . I met with an AV sales guy today who said that it's illegal in my area to install AC-powered equipment behind drywall. So active speakers hung on a wall are OK (Sonos) but in-ceiling are not. :( So my idea fails on that basis, even though there are some active in-ceiling speakers available to buy (on Amazon, at least).

To answer your question, no, I haven't selected speakers. I listened to four candidates this evening as was not impressed. Do you have any suggestions? After you give me yours I'll tell what I listened to. ;)

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
It’s always been difficult to find reviews of in-ceiling speakers from actual users none the less a variety of models to have a comparison.
While there have been more articles of late they are mainly due to atmos and don’t address musicality.

Which is why I have been dragging my feet on which ones too buy for my install. :greengrin: Will be purchasing 10.

I did purchase Polk 70RT for my covered patio and am pleased with them. I also used a pair of them for atmos in my hometheater.

I wouldn’t think twice about using them for my whole home audio...except...the install locations have blown insulation. So either I find some other brand that I will be happy with that has back enclosures. Or I figure out the proper way to make enclosures myself and go with the Polk.

I like them because they are 3 ways and I think they sound good. If they are being used between floors they could be an issue as they are taller than most, may not fit.

MediumRare

It’s always been difficult to find reviews of in-ceiling speakers from actual users none the less a variety of models to have a comparison.

I did purchase Polk 70RT for my covered patio and am pleased with them. I also used a pair of them for atmos in my hometheater.
I don't really trust reviews. I'd only be interested in spinorama or similar data.

Today I listened the two B&Ws, a Martin Logan and a Sonance. Predictably, the B&Ws were the only ones with full range, but I found them surprisingly muddy. I'm interested in Revel and possibly some others like Focal.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
I don't really trust reviews. I'd only be interested in spinorama or similar data.

Today I listened the two B&Ws, a Martin Logan and a Sonance. Predictably, the B&Ws were the only ones with full range, but I found them surprisingly muddy. I'm interested in Revel and possibly some others like Focal.
What kind of locations are you finding in which to listen to in-ceiling speakers.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
I went here: abt [dot] com/category/660/In-Ceiling-Speakers.html
Ya, $300 plus a speaker is outside my budget. I'm looking in the $100-$125 market.

I'm kinda interested in the Yamaha NS-IW480CWH 8"woofer 3-Way 120watts It has a covered back which would be great for my install.

Yamaha NS-IW480CWH

I see these are on sale Sonance - 6-1/2" 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers (Pair) - Paintable White $450 off. Just makes me think....how overpriced are they that they can go on sale for such a discount :justdontknow: And I have seen this with them twice in the last month.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
If you're building from scratch... perhaps you should give Amina a look. You wouldn't see them. And everything I'm told is that they're legit.

I have a review slot open for in ceilings... I thought Aminas were incoming, but there might be a snag. Anyhow, the thought of invisible speakers is super tempting!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Of course, you could always just pick a company that sells stand alone, multi-room speaker. That would certainly simply things and eliminate the cost of running wires.

Top Bottom