What are the miniDSP 2x4 HD default settings??? (question from newbie profoundly overwhelmed by REW!!)

wmlaven

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-NR797 9.2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Pinnacles
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation
Subwoofers
SVS PB1000 Pro
Video Display Device
Optoma UHD60 4K PJ
Screen
Homemade 82" with Carl's Place Flexi-Gray
Streaming Equipment
Apple TV
Satellite System
DirecTV
I am about to install 2 new SVS subs connected via a miniDSP 2x4 HD and will be assisted in doing my calibration/tuning work with REW by AZ Tuning. My subs will be hooked up via the miniDSP a week or so before the tuning happens and I am wondering are there Default Settings of some sort (i.e. equalization, LPF, HPF etc.) with the miniDSP or does it operate as a simple pass-through device before one uses REW to adjust it?

I'm asking because I'd like to do a calibration with the new subs via my AVR before doing any work with REW so am wondering if that calibration will be adversely affected by the miniDSP defaults or not. And if it would be, is there an EASY way to make the miniDSP a pass-through device until I await tuning with AZ Tuning? BTW, I've watched many videos and read many manuals on REW and it's WAY above my head which is why AZ Tuning is going to help me. So, too, if turning the miniDSP into a pass-through device for a couple week's time before the actual tuning is too complex. I'll be at a loss, but if calibrating with my Onkyo AVR in the meantime with the defaults in place makes sense I'll do that.

Please advise and thanks.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The easiest way to bypass the miniDSP is not to connect it for the moment. By default there are crossover filters active, you would need to bypass them using the miniDSP control application.

wmlaven

Registered
More  
Onkyo TX-NR797 9.2
Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Pinnacles
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation
Subwoofers
SVS PB1000 Pro
Video Display Device
Optoma UHD60 4K PJ
Screen
Streaming Equipment
Apple TV
Satellite System
DirecTV
Understood. It’s just that to connect the miniDSP in the best location for it given my HT set up (which is behind one of the subs) it would be easier to connect the miniDSP when I first install the subs and I was hoping to avoid having to move them a second time to connect the miniDSP later, but if that’s what I need to do, I guess that’s what I’ll do. Unless doing the first AVR calibration with the crossover filters active isn’t such a terrible thing. Is it?

p.s. sorry but this whole DSP/REW thing is very new to me and quite over my head hence the questions.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Typically one output of each pair has a 100 Hz LP and the other has a 100 Hz HP. You will need to be able to connect to the miniDSP to eventually configure it anyway, bypassing the crossover filters only involves selecting the crossover section and clicking BYPASS for each filter. If you are not confident to do that without guidance better not having it in the path until the guidance is available.

wmlaven

Registered
More  
Onkyo TX-NR797 9.2
Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Pinnacles
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation
Subwoofers
SVS PB1000 Pro
Video Display Device
Optoma UHD60 4K PJ
Screen
Streaming Equipment
Apple TV
Satellite System
DirecTV
Thanks Andyc56 for the video and John Mulcahy for the explanation. I'll watch the video, but if I fear futzing it up I'll just keep the miniDSP out of the path until it's time for the actual tuning.

Top Bottom