WAV in RTA 16bit? 24bit?

kewlbug

Registered
I've been playing with Exported PN Pink noise. I've tried everything. window settings, REW settings, RTA settings. FFT. It seems like WAV input is locked into being 16bit? I cannot get 24bit to work.

My goal is to run Hi Res Pink noise (24/96 etc) or am I overthinking this.As the hi res will be converted to analog (speakers) before I measure. As long as FFT is correct.

1682105604374.png

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
I fiddled for a bit last night, could have sworn at one point that I saw an indication of "24 bit data" after all the 0000's at the bottom of the main REW panel, then after an REW restart I never saw it again. My imagination?

However, other than for extreme low noise measurements, like the 160 dB range measurement examples in the REW help file (I believe that is where I saw them), 16 bit data is almost overkill, certainly so for in room measurements where the acoustical noise floor is rarely as much as 60 dB below listening levels. That is my understanding, John and/or others will correct me if I have misspoken. The 96 kHz sample rate matters more, getting your Nyquist frequency well above the top of your desired measurement range.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Not sure which WAV input you are referring to, the system you want to measure? REW accepts 16, 24 and 32-bit integer and 32-bit float WAV formats for audio data import or impulse response import. If you wanted to see how a loopback looks use the signal generator and the RTA. If you wanted to make measurements of a system without an audio input better using the File playback process.

The bit meter at the bottom of the main window is for audio data from the selected input device.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
Thanks, John.

Top Bottom