Main Amp
classe' audio model seventy
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
marantz sa8005 sacd
Front Speakers
sonus faber Cremona auditor m
Front Height Speakers
36"
It’s been a while since I’ve been on the forum. I haven’t been doing much in the way of audio for years (besides using it) up until now. I’ve just completed some DIY speakers this week. I attempted to measure them using REW and my Umik-1 microphone and got crazy results. The updates John M. has done in the preceding years has clearly left me behind.

In the past, I would load the Umik-1 calibration file, use the Macbook sound card “as is” without calibration and measure until my heart’s content. Based on the recent results, I’ve configured the setup wrong. My guess is that I used the laptops microphone to take measurements. See attached graph.

I went through the tutorial 1 on set up and thought I was close but apparently not.
  • Do I absolutely need to calibrate the sound card or can I skip that like old times?
  • For the mic cal files, why are there so many options and does one have precedence?
  • Can I just delete everything but the umik-1 in the mi calibrate file column?
I’m trying to get to the most basic set up because I don’t need the precision offered or the flexibility of so many configurations.

I would appreciate any help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 10.17.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 10.17.24 AM.png
    92 KB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 10.15.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 10.15.44 AM.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 10.16.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 10.16.52 AM.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 16

sam_adams

It looks like you set the internal speakers on the MacBook as the output device. You probably will want to select the Headphone or Line Out device as the output if measuring analog devices.

mike w

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
classe' audio model four
Main Amp
marantz sa8005 sacd
Front Speakers
Front Height Speakers
36"
Thanks for responding. The category "output device" doesn't make sense to me here. Isn't the output the signal generator from the REW app resident on the laptop? Why would you headphone as an output make anymore sense?

I'm equally happy with a response that says "none of this makes sense but do it and it works"

sam_adams

Thanks for responding. The category "output device" doesn't make sense to me here. Isn't the output the signal generator from the REW app resident on the laptop? Why would you headphone as an output make anymore sense?

I'm equally happy with a response that says "none of this makes sense but do it and it works"

The output device referred to in the preferences is the hardware audio output device on the MacBook.

pref1.png

pref2.png

mike w

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
classe' audio model four
Main Amp
marantz sa8005 sacd
Front Speakers