Powersoft or QSC pro power amplifiers
DAC
Eversolo DAC-Z6
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Audacity
Center Channel Speaker
VArious, under R&D measurement
Hi John, all.
I have been using REW for a few months and have got used to its way of doing things. I am mostly using it to measure free field loudspeaker frequency responses, using a tower and turntable for off-axis measurements to then create text files and import them into VituixCAD to make nice looking heat maps, etc.
A problem has been to force REW to keep the same start time of the measurement window. For some off-axis measurements the reflection from the side walls is considerably stronger than the shortest path sound, as these loudspeakers are horn loaded devices and are quite directional. I have found I have to check every off axis measurement to make sure the window is at the correct timing.
Next challenge:
I have set up a separate player (Audacity) through a DAC to play M-Noise (I think its official name is now Music Noise), and can view the RTA etc, and save it into an mdat file. However, AES75 wants to use a normalised measurement as the reference (baseline?) such that, when the input signal level is increased by a particular amount, the resulting measurement response can be offset downwards by that amount to overlay the responses and inspect for any deviations eg broad dips through some frequency ranges due to thermal heating of the loudspeaker reproducing that frequency range. AES75 also asks (requires) that the coherence be inspected for any reduction, used a proxy for the signal to noise /distortion ratio.
Questions:
1. How do I save the mdat of an RTA as a reference or cal file such that I have a (more or less) uniform response as the base line?
2. Are there any plans to introduce the number crunching needed to display coherence. I notice that for Measure SPL from REW or from File mandates a sweep measurement
Best regards from Down Under
David

John Mulcahy

REW Author
For the windows, check that the window settings for the zero degree measurement are as you want them and use the Apply windows to all button on the IR windows dialog.

To make a cal file from a reference measurement use File - Export measurement as text. There is free software for the AES 75 measurement at https://eclipseaudio.com/speakermeasure/

No plans at the moment for dual channel FFT and coherence.

Audiophile_AU

Registered
More  
Main Amp
DAC
Eversolo DAC-Z6
Audacity
Center Channel Speaker
Thanks John, for your prompt response.
I had noticed and tried the Apply windows to all button on the IR windows dialogue, but after a dozen or so measurements progressively off axis it seemd to 'forget' the setting.
And thnaks for the tip about the Eclipse software - I had noticed it but wasn't sure of their back ground....

On a personal note, I thought I saw a reference somewhere to your recent bereavement, if so may I offer my condolences.
Anyway, may I wish you and your family a safe and Happy Christmas.
David Murphy

PS when I get my act together despite the end of year rush, I will send a donation.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I had noticed and tried the Apply windows to all button on the IR windows dialogue, but after a dozen or so measurements progressively off axis it seemd to 'forget' the setting.
It changes the window settings for all other loaded measurements to match the selected measurement, it doesn't have any effect on measurements made after it is used.

Audiophile_AU

Registered
More  
Main Amp
DAC
Eversolo DAC-Z6
Audacity
Center Channel Speaker
Thanks again!