Using REW to test woofer T/S parameters

JerryLook1

Registered
Hi
I’m interested in getting setup to use REW to test individual woofers using my MacBook and a miniDSP mic.

I was wondering what Is the best way to do this, since the woofer will not be in a cabinet.
I have two woofers that I want to compare. It matters less that they match the published specs, and more that I can test if they match each other.

My questions are about mic placement, and also how to orient the driver. Like can I place the drivers on their backs for testing with the mic overhead?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi
The Thiele & Small parameters can be measured only by making loudspeaker impedance measurements and not with response measurements.
In particular, for T / S parameters a set of parameters was identified such as QES QMS QTS (mechanical and total mechanical merit), Vas (equivalent acoustic volume) Fs (resonance frequency), RE (electrical resistance) and others. All these parameters are detected by measuring the impedance of the loudspeaker in free air and the variation by applying an air load from the known volume or a weight on the cone of the loudspeaker.
The measure of response in free air does not allow to detect the T / S parameters.

regards, Antonio

JerryLook1

Registered
Ok that makes sense. Would REW still be a good tool for me to compare these two drivers?
I’d like to get setup to use it for the response of the speakers in my room etc in the future, but I have this one thing I want to accomplish now.

JerryLook1

Registered
And maybe I was confusing REW with Dats. Isn’t Dats a program to test T/S parameters?

With the Dayton DATS system you can measure the T / S parameters of the speakers.
With REW you can do both things, frequency response and electrical impedance necessary to calculate T / S parameters.
For the setting of REW with the miniDSP microphone you can see at this link.
It shouldn't be hard to make it work ...

Regards

Top Bottom