Surround Speakers
Mackie HR624
Subwoofers
Mackie HRS120
Video Display Device
JVC RS540
Screen
120 inches
I’d like to measure the response of my car audio system using REW. The problem is that my head unit has no line-in, aux-in, or HDMI-in port, so I cannot use the same procedure I use for my home theater. Following the online help, I have exported a measurement sweep with timing reference onto a USB stick in WAV format, have plugged the stick into the head unit, and can play back the sweep.

The question is, what now? Should I record the played-back signal using something like Audacity and use the Import sweep recordings function in REW? When recording the signal, should I try to maximize the level without clipping, or is there some optimal target level?

What I have done so far is used the Measure function. I checked the “Wait for timing reference” box in the Make a Measurement window and clicked Start Measuring. I then played back the WAV sweep on my head unit. REW "heard" the timing reference and took a measurement. This procedure seems to work (except the dB level is clearly off), but I wonder if the frequency response calculated using this procedure is incorrect and I should instead exclusively use the Import sweep recordings function.

afilipi

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz AV7703
Front Speakers
Mackie HR824
Center Channel Speaker
Mackie HR626
Surround Speakers
Mackie HR624
Subwoofers