Cambridge Audio Minx 12
Subwoofers
B&W PV1 D
Screen
Loewe Art 50
Remote Control
Loewe Assist
Hi all,

I'm a mechanical engineer looking to do some acoustic analysis of a small device.

I cant declare what it is that I am working on due to confidentiality, but I have a pretty solid analogy for it.

Imagine a train conductors whistle, which has a cork ball in it to create that signature oscillating sound that the Acme thunderer has (google it if you don't know).

I have a vacuum pump applying constant suction to the whistle at different flow rates (tunable by me); the vacuum pump sounds like a traditional hoover (because that's where I got the motor from).

So... here's my problem...

I want to try to quantify the frequency of the oscillation of the cork ball in the whistle - or at the very least, be able to discern if it is or isn't oscillating, and perhaps some measure of its intensity.

The vacuum motor is very close and hence there is a lot of background noise, but I know for sure that when I get the oscillation there is a new peak at around 11KHz, that changes in shape dependent on the speed of the oscillation. but how can I use REW to remove that vacuum noise?

I could do a recording for a minute at a time for example and take averages, or whatever it takes, but I've never really used this kit before or done any type of serious spectral analysis.

P.S I'm using a Dayton Audio UMM 6 mic with the calibration file.

Any and all help is welcome and appreciated, but please keep it simple for me :)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
Keep in mind that REW is merely a measurement platform. It can’t “remove” any acoustical signal. REW could help you identify the frequency of the oscillation of the cork ball, if it is sufficiently above the noise floor you mentioned.

Regards,
Wayne

Top Bottom