vekven

Registered
More  
Main Amp
NAD M33
Front Speakers
KEF R3 Meta
Hi there -

New to the site, found you folks through searches related to REW. I've recently got a listening space set up in a small and, unfortunately, square room in my attic. I have an NAD M33 that I'm very happy with. I've run Dirac a couple of times and I can definitely hear a difference. Things are more compact, tighter, more defined, and soundstage is excellent. However, I'd like to play around a bit more with speaker placement and tomorrow I have 2 small subs (I know, small subs aren't really subs) coming. The space is a work in progress and some room treatment is in the cards eventually as well. I have a UMIK-1 (which worked fine with Dirac, not a mic issue) and I'm all set to get some measurements, but I can't get my MBP to see the NAD unit connected via HDMI. I've read threads here and elsewhere and no one seems to have a single answer, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Here's what I've tried:
  • 3 different HDMI cables - 2 generic, provided by cable company, 1 Rocketfish cable. The BluOS website recommends certified cables only, so perhaps I should grab a new cable and try that?
  • various sequences and configurations of devices powered on and off and orders of connection, including the BLuOs recommendation of everything truly powered off, not just set to standby, prior to connection.
  • I do have Rogue Amoeba's SoundSource installed on the MBP - I deleted it along with their ACE kext and restarted.
At no point has an HDMI connection been visible in Audio Midi Setup, REW, or the Sound system preferences. The NAD display shows 'connecting' with the HDMI input selected. Am I missing something here? I know HDMI is a complicated spec that is not well defined in some ways. Is a cable purchase worth a shot? Any other suggestions? I'd really like to know how my room measures! I like the sound I'm getting, but, as I said, the room measurements would help me tweak my speaker position, sub situation, and perhaps guide future room treatment. I'd appreciate any suggestions and am glad to provide any additional info that would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

vekven

Registered
More  
Main Amp
NAD M33
Front Speakers
KEF R3 Meta
That would certainly explain it. I have an optical cable and a C -> B USB cable, just need to pick up the interface. Appreciate the quick response and detailed info, thank you very much!

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Or you could Generate sweep tones with timing reference and save to a .wav file, play via a network or put on a USB jump drive and play via what ever player you use...

jeppekristoffer

Registered
More  
Denon X3700H
Main Amp
Nad M27
Front Speakers
Dali Rubicon LCR
Center Channel Speaker
2-way with Purifi woofer & Gladen Aerospace 28
Surround Speakers
Dalin Fazon Sat
Front Height Speakers
Dalin Fazon Sat
Rear Height Speakers
Dalin Fazon Sat
Subwoofers
Faux sub through minidsp to front channels
5 Minidsp 2x4 HD
Screen
Sony XG95 55 inch
I believe you can connect your computer to your tv via hdmi and then select the hdmi input on your tv and then the audio can be sent out from your tv:s ARC-capable HDMI port to the Nad ARC-hdmi port. I do it like that with my sony (earc tv) and denon x3700h and can thereby send atmos sweeps from my pc through the tv and then to the denon.

jeppekristoffer

Registered
More  
Denon X3700H
Main Amp
Nad M27
Front Speakers
Dali Rubicon LCR
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Dalin Fazon Sat
Front Height Speakers
Dalin Fazon Sat
Rear Height Speakers
Dalin Fazon Sat
Subwoofers
Faux sub through minidsp to front channels
5 Minidsp 2x4 HD
Screen
Sony XG95 55 inch
If you have a arc/earc capable tv then you can select that as "output" in REW preferences by selecting the outout named "EXCL-(insert your tv name here). Then you can send at least 2 channels from REW to your NAD 33.

Last edited:

vekven

Registered
More  
Main Amp
NAD M33
Front Speakers
KEF R3 Meta
I believe you can connect your computer to your tv via hdmi and then select the hdmi input on your tv and then the audio can be sent out from your tv:s ARC-capable HDMI port to the Nad ARC-hdmi port. I do it like that with my sony (earc tv) and denon x3700h and can thereby send atmos sweeps from my pc through the tv and then to the denon.
Thanks for that suggestion. Right now, I'm working in an audio-only room, no TV up here. In any case, the TVs in my house are at least 10 yrs old, not sure how much help they'll be! I did try a USB-C -> coax cable into the NAD, but no luck. The USB/optical interface should be here tomorrow. For now, just working on Dirac with the 2 subs. Thanks again!

jeppekristoffer

Registered
More  
Denon X3700H
Main Amp
Nad M27
Front Speakers
Dali Rubicon LCR
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers