"Unable to access selected device due to...

Barryjam

Registered
Umik-1 does not have any lines supporting PCM-Signed 48Khz, 16 bit stereo, 4 bytes/frame, little endian."

Umik-1 is 24bits/48kHz, which is the setting I find in settings/sound.

Win 11, REW 5.3. Anytime I open REW, I see at the very bottom "16bits in/out." On YouTube videos, I see that this same setting is 24bits in/out. I have desktop apps able to address Mic enabled.

Anyone have any suggestions?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Umik-1 does not have any lines supporting PCM-Signed 48Khz, 16 bit stereo, 4 bytes/frame, little endian
That means the OS is refusing access to the device, usually because some other application has taken control of it.

On Windows the regular Java drivers are limited to stereo and 16 bits. Use the Java WASAPI Exclusive drivers (device names starting EXCL) to access the full bit depth and channel count.

Barryjam

Registered
The mic is already in exclusive mode under properties/advanced. Do I turn that off? Is there some other way to get the JAVA exclusive driver?

Barryjam

Registered
I'm trying to use Realtek output and umik-1 input. There is no device in the drop down menu on Input or output device that starts with EXCL. seems like there is some kind of EXCl process that goes through all my possible devices at startup of REW, but then my devices are rejected for the reason stated above.

from help---Devices using WASAPI exclusive are prefixed by EXCL: in REW's device selectors. NOT TRUE IN MY CASE.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you have turned off the option "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" for an input or an output then WASAPI exclusive drivers will not be allowed for it.

Barryjam

Registered
Thank you for your continued patience on this.

Suddenly the exclusive options showed up in preferences. (the only change I made was to turn on Windows sounds, which I usually leave off for Audio recording in my DAW.)

Last edited:

Blueshound

I am experiencing the same issue. Error message is the same or similar to the one posted at the top of this thread. Operating system is Windows 11, and a high resource Asus laptop incorporating an Nvidia RTX A3000 GPU. My laptop is a little over a year old, however the Umik-1 dates back to roughly 2018 - 2019. I very recently installed the current non-Beta version of REW 5.30.9.

I've tried every operating system setting I can find, to no avail. Windows recognizes the Umik-1, says it's operating correctly, and seems to hear audio during the simple test. To me this suggests that at least I don't have a cable issue. (?)

I have the calibration file based on the mic's s/n, and have linked it to both the Excl version in the REW input dropdown, and the non-Excl version. Nonetheless there are no audio levels coming in. REW clearly indicates that the Umik-1 only works at 48K, and this is what I've set Windows 11 for, as re: the Umik-1.

I should also add that for test signals, whether sweeps, white or pink noise, I'm hoping to play back test files via the audio system, and not output from REW. If this has a whole new set of issues, I'd appreciate knowing, but my current priority is just to have the mic function. My goal is simply to run speaker / room measurements, and then to continue with those to perform minor EQ from 120Hz and down, via the existing active crossover.

Thanks
Brian

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I don't know what could be causing that, I use UMIK-1 on Win 10 and Win 11 and haven't come across any errors. There's an option in the Help menu to generate a diagnostic file, if you attach that I'll look through it to see if there are any clues.

Blueshound

John: I'm attaching the diagnostics file.

Now when I start REW, I get a new error message, as below (copied after clicking on DETAIL):
"Message:
java.lang.ArithmeticException: / by zero
Stack Trace:
/ by zero"

Also I now see no drop-down options in Preferences/Output Device, whereas yesterday it showed REALTEK Audio. Not sure if this matters. The Umik-1 mic does appear under Input Device, incl. the EXCL variant. In the box below, the only option is "Default Device". I currently have the Unik-1 set as the default mic in Windows. The blue LED is lit on the mic, and as before the windows test hears the Umik-1.

Has me wondering if all these issues could be related to a need for a Java update?

Brian

Blueshound

Sorry, forgot to attach the file.

Brian

Attachments

• REWdiagnostic_1708353284667.zip
    20.2 KB · Views: 7

sam_adams

Has me wondering if all these issues could be related to a need for a Java update?

If you have no need for a Java runtime—no Java programs to run locally or in a browser—it's best to uninstall any JRE that you may have installed and let REW install and use the one included with the installer. This ensures maximum compatibility and minimizes the possibility of introducing errors during use.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Now when I start REW, I get a new error message, as below (copied after clicking on DETAIL):
"Message:
Stack Trace:
/ by zero"
That's occurring in the WASPAI exclusive driver @phofman provides,

at com.cleansine.sound.provider.SimpleDataLine.doOpen(SimpleDataLine.java:228)
at com.cleansine.sound.provider.SimpleDataLine.open(SimpleDataLine.java:62)
at com.cleansine.sound.provider.SimpleDataLine.open(SimpleDataLine.java:103)

provoked by the current input device, which I think is EXCL: Microphone Array (Realtek(R) Audio), returning a frame size of zero somehow! Try ignoring the error and selecting some other input device.

Blueshound

Yesterday I did manage to get REW to hear the Umik-1 mic. After checking and / or making test changes to every Windows parameter relative to the microphone input I could think of, nothing made any difference. Finally I uninstalled REW, shut down and restarted, and reinstalled the program, this time with the computer booting with the mic connected before installation of REW.
And it worked. I was able to do preliminary RTA measurements. Now I need to try to recall best practices for measuring an accurate response curve for the speakers in the room.
Is white noise sufficient for this, or best to use either a standard or log sweep? I prefer to look at measurements in standard, not Log view.
Thanks all.
Brian

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Is white noise sufficient for this, or best to use either a standard or log sweep? I prefer to look at measurements in standard, not Log view.
Pink noise and the RTA in a fractional octave mode or a log sweep are the choices, only the sweep will provide an impulse response and the corresponding data such as waterfalls and RT60. Not sure what you mean by "standard" view, but it is usual to view frequency responses with a log frequency axis.

Top Bottom