Umik-1 input seems to be too low

rockrink

Registered
I searched fhis forum and elsewhere but did not find an answer to my specific situation, so I am posting for help.

I have a Mac running Monterrey. REW v 5.31.
Downloaded the microphone calibration file and implemented it in REW.
Trying to eventually do a room measurement for Roon Convolution purposes.
Using the REW help files.
When I run CHECK LEVELS, the input level is about 40 DB below the output level.
I have adjusted the levels in Mac System Preference, Sound, input and output -- problem persists.
I selected this Microphone because it was recommended on the REW home page, and I followed the link so the author of REW would get the Amazon bonus, but if there is another microphone that I should be using, please let me know.
Otherwise, it would be great if someone could explain what I am missing.

Thank you.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That's fine and normal for a USB mic. Per the help, with extra colour for emphasis:

REW measurements are usually made at a level of about 75 dB SPL. This is not very loud, it is the same level aimed at by most receivers to adjust speaker trims. Using very loud test signals is likely to damage your speakers and your ears. Do not use test signal levels any higher than you would be comfortable listening to for long periods. Setting the signal level REW uses during measurement involves generating a pink noise calibration signal and adjusting the AV processor's volume control and/or the calibration signal level so that at the measurement point (usually ear height at your main listening position) your SPL meter shows a level of around 75 dB. Then, if not using a USB microphone, the interface's input volume needs to be adjusted to get a good signal level from the SPL meter or mic preamp when the cal signal is playing.

With a USB microphone the input volume control can be left at the unity gain (0 dB) setting, which is selected by default when the microphone is first plugged in (and set automatically by REW if the Control input volume box is ticked on the Soundcard preferences).

Top Bottom