Tubes versus Solid State - Power Delivered at different speaker impedances

Rocky Starns

Registered
I am interested in trying the McIntosh MC462 or 452 Power Amplifier with the Autotransformer circuitry.
In a recent review of this amp, and probably all tube amps, is the actual power delivered to the speaker very different than a solid state amp?
A good solid state amp has a linear power output that follows the impedance curve > example: 400w @ 2ohms; 200w @ 4ohms and 100w @ 8ohms > a constant voltage source! A review of the McIntosh MC462 shows the amp delivers max output at the preselected auto-tap (8ohm as example) but is not linear as the impedance changes up or down. I am currently using Perreaux 2150B amps that are rock-solid voltage sources giving me big watts as speaker impedance drops. The McIntosh on paper appears to lower the wattage as the impedance deviates from the ‘sweet spot’ set on the auto-tap.
I am no expert on this subject and hope that someone can help me virtualize what difference in power/sound might I hear with the tube amp over my solid state setup. Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
I have pondered on the same question about McIntosh amps. If the speakers had a flat impedance curve (they never do) then power delivery should be pretty flat and so would frequency response, relative to that with a solid state amp. With real-world speakers, the McIntosh auto transformer output would seem to lead to variations in frequency response relative to that of a solid state amp, all other factors being equal. Such a comparison, with measurements and listening test, would make an interesting experiment. Getting hands on a McIntosh tube amp to try it with is the hard part.

Top Bottom