AmpDesigner4444

Hello, fellow audio enthusiasts!

Digital Amp Co was founded in 1996. Amplifier IP Development was our initial business model. In 2006, we decided to build finished amplifier products, and in 2008, we started the Cherry Amplifier (R) brand. It has been quite a ride since then! We built high quality Class-D amplifiers (and related products) designed for sound quality as opposed to bench specs. However, our bench specs were still pretty admirable. Our philosophy entails developing products for measurable performance first, sometimes achieving outrageously good performance, such as amplifiers nearing 130dB SNR and 0.000x% distortion. THEN, we tweak the circuitry for sonic implications. We have become quite good at this, and through experience (30 years designing Class-D here), we were able to figure out which circuit changes yield certain effects on the sound. We wanted to deliver transparency, but without the typical side effect of an analytical sound. We don't use one-size-fits-all pre-fab modules like other manufacturers. In fact, we are one of the few companies left that actually designs their own amplifier circuits, from the smallest component up. The rest of the pack simply throws a pre-fab module (with it's inherent markup) in a fancy box. We also don't use gobs of negative feedback in our designs. This gives us excellent transient handling without HF noise and ringing. Remember the screechy sound of high power 1980s Class-AB amplifiers? Well, they also used huge amounts of negative feedback, but at least in those amps, the bandwidth was available to allow simple compensation networks in the feedback loop. Our designs run more than 4 times faster than most Class-D amps on the market, and this gives us the bandwidth necessary to avoid the pitfalls of other Class-D amps. Plus, we have developed our own patented and proprietary modulation technology, providing excellent control of even the most powerful output stages. Many Class-D amps on the market use the huge feedback to artificially extend bandwidth, and the result is a strained sound where the listener can't quite put their finger on what's bothering them.

We believe in science and engineering. We stand firmly against audio snake oil and audio foolery. We measure our success with test equipment AND the ears of many experienced listeners. One without the other is simply inadequate as far as we're concerned. We act as engineers, not as marketers.

We also sell direct, eliminating the huge margins associated with dealer sales. This has made it an uphill battle to get exposure since other amplifier makers spend more than half their budget on marketing, passing the expense to their customers. We rely mostly on word of mouth to attain new customers, and due to the quality of our products and services, this has worked for us. LACK of advertising is another way we are able to produce hardware with super high quality components backed by large R&D efforts. This also hurts our ability to get professional reviews where the goal of the publication is to secure an advertising deal or simply promote their existing advertiser's products. Our customers are very happy. We understand better than most manufactures that our customers are the reason we exist, and we treat them with the respect they deserve. We customize hardware for individual needs. We strive to build a relationship with our customers while other manufactures look at their customers as a number on a spreadsheet. The result? We have created some of the best audio products in the world.

Class-D was invented with the purpose of high power efficiency, but our amps run a little on the "hot" side at idle, but efficiency at maximum power is more than 90%. What we have developed is like the Class-A of Class-D, and we believe that our amps can beat the sonic performance of Class-A.

We are currently running a Kickstarter project. This is our 5th one. Our last 4 were all successfully funded. Our customers are loyal as well, and know they will get a great return on their investment by participating in our campaigns. The purpose of the current project is to introduce the MEGAschino, a high power, high sonic performance amplifier. It's the culmination of 30+ years developing high performance amplifiers.

This is straight from the heart. We believe in what we do, and we're especially conscious of how we affect our customer's lives. Music is a source of happiness for our customers, and we want to maximize their enjoyment. So, if you're the kind of audio fan that wants the BEST, give us a look, or better yet, a listen. You'll be glad you did. Thanks for reading about Cherry Amplifiers and Digital Amplifier Company.

Tommy O
Founder
Digital Amp Co
CherryAmp.com
Music Should be Sweet

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
LACK of advertising is another way we are able to produce hardware with super high quality components backed by large R&D efforts. This also hurts our ability to get professional reviews where the goal of the publication is to secure an advertising deal or simply promote their existing advertiser's products. Our customers are very happy. We understand better than most manufactures that our customers are the reason we exist, and we treat them with the respect they deserve.
Hi Tommy... welcome to AV NIRVANA (with hesitation).

I am curious about a couple of statements you make in your advertisement / introduction.

It will be difficult for you to claim "LACK of advertising" exactly. Perhaps lack of PAID advertising, since your first post here is to do nothing more than pimp your products.

Then you condemn us as a publication that does nothing more than acquire reviews to simply promote our existing advertiser's products and/or secure advertising deals. Yet you want to advertise for free. And if we were to review your amp and did not say good things about it or if we said it didn't sound any different than any other amp we've listened to, I suppose you'd immediately cry foul play?

Apparently, you don't know the hearts and minds of all publications, because they are certainly not all the same. Case in point is one of the reviews I wrote when I owned HTS on a product for one of our advertisers who spent several thousands of dollars per year before and AFTER the review, which was definitely NOT a good review of the product. FYI... there is still honesty in some publications, even though you disrespect publications by your vexatious insinuations.

So I ask you... where is the "respect" that we deserve as a publication? Are we as owners here not your potential customers?

Regards,
Sonnie

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
The kid in the corner looked at the priest
And fingered his pale-blue Japanese guitar
The priest said:
"God wants goodness
God wants light
God wants mayhem
God wants a clean fight"

-Roger Waters-

AmpDesigner4444

Hi Tommy... welcome to AV NIRVANA (with hesitation).

I am curious about a couple of statements you make in your advertisement / introduction.

It will be difficult for you to claim "LACK of advertising" exactly. Perhaps lack of PAID advertising, since your first post here is to do nothing more than pimp your products.

Then you condemn us as a publication that does nothing more than acquire reviews to simply promote our existing advertiser's products and/or secure advertising deals. Yet you want to advertise for free. And if we were to review your amp and did not say good things about it or if we said it didn't sound any different than any other amp we've listened to, I suppose you'd immediately cry foul play?

Apparently, you don't know the hearts and minds of all publications, because they are certainly not all the same. Case in point is one of the reviews I wrote when I owned HTS on a product for one of our advertisers who spent several thousands of dollars per year before and AFTER the review, which was definitely NOT a good review of the product. FYI... there is still honesty in some publications, even though you disrespect publications by your vexatious insinuations.

So I ask you... where is the "respect" that we deserve as a publication? Are we as owners here not your potential customers?

Regards,
Sonnie

Sonnie,

You make some good points. For the record, your publication has never done the things mentioned in my post to us.

The equipment we design and manufacturer is world class, so we are accustomed to good reviews wherever they come from.

You are correct about publications being varied in the treatment of their customers. Who is your primary customer, readers or manufacturers?

We are a potential customer of yours. We intend to resume adverting in some review publications. We frequently ask our customers who's reviews they trust the most to determine where we think the best ROI would be, and we have advertised a bit in the past with varied results (some pretty expensive paid advertising as well). We were given the choice between advertising or not having our review published by a few well known publications. I would never expect that treatment here. We are interested in reaching your readers. Our product line is expanding, and developing dynamic marketing is part of what they call "growing pains". What are your options beyond banner ads?

I was referred here by Dennis Young, by the way. We feel the inherent honesty in his reviews is outstanding. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

-Tommy O

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
Welcome, Tommy. Glad to see you here and look forward to future posts, you have much to contribute to the audio community. Cherry designs are outside of the status quo and that is exciting.

My partner, Sonnie, does indeed make some fair points, we are quite different from other forums. Feel free to share your audio/"views"(juxtaposition and puns are fun!) here, I know you have much to contribute to our community of fellow enthusiasts.

AmpDesigner4444

Welcome, Tommy. Glad to see you here and look forward to future posts, you have much to contribute to the audio community. Cherry designs are outside of the status quo and that is exciting.

My partner, Sonnie, does indeed make some fair points, we are quite different from other forums. Feel free to share your audio/"views"(juxtaposition and puns are fun!) here, I know you have much to contribute to our community of fellow enthusiasts.
Looking for potential MEGAschino reviewers. Any ideas? Thanks.

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000