Time align the impulse of the Sub

FidelioX

Hi Guys,
I'm following this tutorial....
At min 52 he explain how to time align the impulse of the sub respect the reference loud speaker.

My personal array is made with two subs aligned togheter with MiniDSP.

Now I've done a test following this video and tryied to time align the sub.
He says that the peak to be taken as a reference is the highest one ... in my case it seems the following red arrowed....

kGTZhdu.jpg

But in my case it seems abnormal because I read 15 meters of delay!!!
My Denon has a maximum of 8 meters.
There is surely something wrong!

I attached those readings.

Thank you so much for any feedback

Attachments

• sub time align.mdat
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

Michael_B

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz SR7015
Front Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-41M
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch Reference R-52
Surround Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-41M
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-40SA
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-41S
Subwoofers
Klipsch R-8SW
I know hes says somewhere in the comments to someone else, that if you cant use the highest spike, just use the first spike.. i have seen his videos many many times, and still need to see them more to understand it :greengrin:

Michael_B

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz SR7015
Front Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-41M
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch Reference R-52
Surround Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-41M
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-40SA
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch Reference R-41S
Subwoofers
Klipsch R-8SW
heres what he wrote : "If you can't decrease the delays in MiniDSP and I know you can't, your only option is to adjust sub impulse timing not to the highest peak but the peak before that" :)

FidelioX

Unfiltered impulse responses are next to useless for sub alignment. The alignment tool was made for that job.
Hi John,
I'm totally ignorant on the subject but ... what i intended is that the aligment tool is useful to find a delay value that do not produce bad deeps in the transition between a loud speaker and a subwoofer. But ... my fear is that i may find with the aligment tool a delay value that gives me a very good response without deeps but ... the sub sounds not synchronized with the loud speaker.
Is it possible?
This is my big doubt.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Not really, no. It isn't particularly meaningful to talk about an arrival time for low frequencies, given how long it takes to complete even a single cycle, but if you want a time domain view the 5.20.14 alignment tool can use filtered impulse responses or phase, generally they give the same result unless the alignment is attempted at a response null. Phase is (broadly speaking) the frequency domain equivalent of time.

FidelioX

Not really, no. It isn't particularly meaningful to talk about an arrival time for low frequencies, given how long it takes to complete even a single cycle, but if you want a time domain view the 5.20.14 alignment tool can use filtered impulse responses or phase, generally they give the same result unless the alignment is attempted at a response null. Phase is (broadly speaking) the frequency domain equivalent of time.
Thank you John,
I will install it tonight.
Can you provide more specific infos to use this new functionality? (some captures would be much appreciated).

Thank you if you can

Top Bottom