time align and level matching question

D WHY

Registered
Hi
used this fab bit of kit a few years ago and have just opened it up again.

My previous system had auto align and auto level matching so i just used REW for EQ. My new system offers the ability to manually input this info but I need to find out what the data is. Im hoping REW can do this for me. Presumably the spl db level takes care of the level matching. I cant see any figures for Time delay. Is it just my unfamiliarity with the software or is TD not possible with REW?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You can use REW to measure time delays relative to a reference, but unless your system has additional components of unknown delays in the path to some speakers but not others it will be quicker and easier to use the features built in to the processor.

D WHY

Registered
You can use REW to measure time delays relative to a reference, but unless your system has additional components of unknown delays in the path to some speakers but not others it will be quicker and easier to use the features built in to the processor.
Hi John
Thank you for developing this fab software. - its a pro studio monitor controller - in my experience theres always some time delay and time alignment required. The dsp allows me to eq, delay each speaker, and adjust level. Isnt the rule of thumb to choose the one that has the most delay and delay the others to match? Just read a thread on mini dsp about this using REW https://www.minidsp.com/applications/auto-eq-with-rew/measuring-time-delay -so is that the best way to get the info?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Sorry, assumed you were using a consumer AV processor. You can indeed use the acoustic timing reference to get delay figures, per the miniDSP article, and yes, delay everything to align with the largest delay.

D WHY

Registered
Sorry, assumed you were using a consumer AV processor. You can indeed use the acoustic timing reference to get delay figures, per the miniDSP article, and yes, delay everything to align with the largest delay.
Thank you for your reply - For Level Match . im guessing I use the Spl value at the bottom of the 1st measurement page?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
For level matching best using the Pink PN speaker cal signal and the SPL meter, or looking at the measurements on the All SPL graph and adjsting them to align over the region of interest - that's easier if they are smoothed. The All SPL graph controls have settings to shift the traces.

Top Bottom