Theory .Delays .From Beginner.

Piter

Registered
Many people use this program for combining front + sub 2.1 or 5.1 or 7.1 or 7.2 and beyond. My system is 2-viter 2-mid and 2 sub. Just like you, only the crossover frequency is different. I have a question. Why when I measure mid (I dissolve the crossover in the entire 20-20000Hz band.) In the 400-800Hz band, the delay is -1.4ms. The same speaker 400-1500Hz delay -0.8ms.
The question is why is that? A speaker at a lower frequency should have a longer delay, but here it is vice versa. You can take a quick measurement of any one speaker with the same settings and check if this is so. Thanks.

Attachments

• 888.mdat
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

John Mulcahy

REW Author
As you reduce the measurement bandwidth the measurement result will become more oscillatory and the meaning of a delay figure will become less and less valid.

Piter

Registered
As you reduce the measurement bandwidth the measurement result will become more oscillatory and the meaning of a delay figure will become less and less valid.
Thank you for your answer. And thank you for your program. I'm measuring a full-range speaker. Microphone 40cm. from the speaker.The speaker has a frequency of 150Hz. up to 3000Hz. I measure 200-3000Hz. delay -2ms. Measurement 200-2000Hz delay -3ms. Why so? It should be the other way around; the lower the frequency, the longer the response time.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Reducing the measurement range is not the same as measuring something which itself has a narrower range. When you reduce the measurement range you are in effect multiplying the response of the speaker by a window, the width and shape of that window will affect the overall time domain response. To get a good delay figure make a full range measurement.

Top Bottom