The Shining

Movie: :5stars:
4K Video: :5stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras: :3.5stars:
Final Score: :4.5stars:

Movie

I love October. It’s the season for trick or treating, dressing up in costumes, and more importantly….Horror movie season! This is the time of year when a good chunk of the films I review are in the horror genre, and that makes this horror nerd EXTREMELY happy. Well, what better way to kick off the first day of October than to revisit an iconic classic (and only the 2nd Kubrick film to hit 4K, after last year’s release of 2001: A Space Odyssey) like The Shining. Now, this is one of my favorite Kubrick films of all time, and one of the most controversial. While it is one of my absolute favorites and definitely a creeeeeeepy film, it is also one that got Stanley Kubrick some rather unwanted attention with the documentaries that followed the piece. Supposedly the man was a rabid perfectionist and pushed his actors to the brink with his intense work schedule, shooting and reshooting some scenes so many times that actors were notoriously dropping exhausted on set (the infamous scene with Shelley Duvall’s character and the baseball bat was reportedly done with 127 takes). A reality that was bleakly obvious when Shelley Duvall went on Dr. Phil a few years back with massive mental illness problems, many of which seem to lead back to her time on set with Kubrick. Not only that, Stephen King himself wasn’t a fan of how Kubrick treated Duvall’s character on screen either, claiming that it was much more misogynistic than how she was portrayed in the book (Mrs Torrance was much stronger and more of an empowered character instead of the sobbing wreck that Kubrick decided to take the character).

Regardless of your opinion of Kubrick and his treatment of the actors, The Shining is a genuine masterpiece for the vast majority of fans, and a strikingly beautiful picture visually speaking. Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) is a writer suffering from some major writers block, and decides to take a job as a winter custodian for an isolated hotel for the winter in order to get some extra money, and hopefully conquer his writers block in the isolation. His wife Wendy (Shelley Duvall) is a bit reticent, but son Danny (Danny Lloyd) is frightened of going. His fears are not unfounded, as the Colorado Rockies hotel is completely snowbound during the winter, and the last custodian actually went mad from being alone for so long. While Jack thinks it’s a good idea, there are some very obvious clues presented to the viewer that this is NOT going to be a fun little vacation like Jack is promising.

As Jack begins to slowly decompress and destress from his long writer’s block, the supernatural elements of the hotel begin to reveal themselves. Soon Jack’s falling off the wagon with his previous drinking problem, and the more he drinks the more he starts to lose his mind and see things that aren’t there, culminating into going completely mad and becoming the homicidal maniac from the trailer.

The film is truly creepy, and a film that has been pored over and analyzed to death in film classes for decades. As such I’m not going to make a giant analysis of the film and instead just go over a few highlights. The main one being that Kubrick is a MASTER at visual storytelling. Every little picture, every little framing and shot, every little non spoken facial expression is meant to convey something. Wendy Carlos and Rachel Elking’s haunting score just takes the visual cues and pushes them along, making a 2 hour and 26 minute film (yes, this is the slightly extended cut) feel like an hour and a half.

Nicholson made the role of a lifetime here as Jack Torrance, and it’s one of his best ones in my opinion. Jack’s trip down the insanity rabbit hole is completely visceral and so terrifying if watched on screen. On paper it just seems like a guy goes bananas, but Kubrick got the best insane performance from jack since One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. As much as Jack was fantastic, Shelley Duvall is no slouch either. While most people forget about her vs. Jack, her performance as a terrified young wife is absolutely mesmerizing and believable (which makes sense after it was revealed how Kubrick drove her to the brink for over 13 months to get her to be as terrified as possible). Simply put, while this is really a 3 person film (Danny being the third), Jack and Shelley are truly jaw dropping in their performances, and despite the controversy of the production, is one of the best horror classics of all time.

Rating:

Rated R By the MPAA

4K Video: :5stars: Video: :4.5stars:
Wowza, that’s all I can say. Warner Brothers 2007 Blu-ray was widely considered to be a god like transfer for the time, and it was for very good reason. The disc (along with 2001) have been my go to Blu-ray discs to show just how good an old Kubrick film could look on Blu-ray for quite some time. Even with 12 years of aging under its belt, the old transfer still can kick some serious butt and looks great. I honestly was expecting a good upgrade over the Blu-ray, but this 4K UHD disc (with a new 4K remaster) is absolutely sumptuous. It captures all of the artistic nuances of Kubrick’s masterpiece, but also rivals many never digital releases for being razor sharp and clean as well. Watching in on my 65 inch 4K TV is a completely awe inspiring experience, and this is one THE best catalog titles I have seen in regards to Blu-ray to 4K quality increases.

Supposedly this new scan was taken from the original 35mm negatives, and both Stanley Kubrick and his assistant Leon Vitali were both heavily involved in the process, resulting in a stunning looking 4K UHD picture. The disc is sharp as a tack, showing off brilliant burnished 70s/early 80s type colors that pop off the page (look at the red in the hotel, or the white and blue as the helicopter hovers over the hotel from above). There’s some haziness to some shots, but those are entirely a Kubrick invention, having Jack’s character coming out of a soft and hazy background and into the front, shifting focus on his character as he moves. Blacks are deep and inky throughout, with standout scenes being him running through the dark outside with the axe near the end, or creeping through the darkened hallways at night as he slowly looses his mind. Background details are incredibly well detailed, showing off stitching and intricate detailing in rugs, wallpaper and even facial hair. Up close shorts are intensely revealing, and there is nothing the camera doesn’t pick up.

One thing that fans have been talking about is the aspect ratio changes over the years. The film’s theatrical 1.85:1 ratio is gone, instead using WB’s typical 1.78:1 framing to get rid of those slight black bars. USUALLY Warner just opens up the matte just a tad, but for this release Warner has zoomed in EVER so slightly (probably around 3-5%) and after comparing the images between the older Blu-ray and this release, I have to say it’s no big deal unless you’re a super purist. The amount of image that is lost from this technique is minuscule at best. It’s certainly much better than the old TV presentations which would do full open matte to 1.33:1 and really lose all of the up close atmosphere that The Shining thrives on.

Audio: :4stars:
Like Pan’s Labyrinth, The Shining ports over the older 5.1 DTS-HD MA track from the Blu-ray, and while I would have loved to have heard what they could have done with Atmos, there are rumors and intimations that Kubrick himself had a hand in keeping this one in 5.1 like he did with the Blu-ray years ago. The track is still quite good though, with great atmospheric effects in the claustrophobic hotel, as well as some really amazing bass pulsations throughout the 2+ hour film. The hotel itself has some great ambiance, with little creaks and groans that reverberate throughout the surrounds as well as little things like a knife falling to the floor, or the most obvious score cues that blast and klaxon with powerful authority. Dialog is crystal clear, and vocals are firmly locked up front, and the mix itself balanced evenly across the board. It’s never been one to blow people away, but the 5.1 mix for Kubricks films are always treats to listen to. My only frustration with the entire thing is that the original Mono track from the DVD and theatrical experience is missing as was the on the Blu-ray as well. With Kubrick so heavily involved I would think that it would be a priority for him to include the mono mix for us purists, but for some reason it has been omitted.

Extras: :3.5stars:
BRAND NEW 4K RESTORATION OF STANLEY KUBRICK'S 146 MINUTE VERSION OF THE FILM
• Audio commentary by Steadicam inventor Garrett Brown and Stanley Kubrick biographer John Baxter
• Video from the Overlook: Crafting The Shining
-- Enter the terrifying world of the Overlook Hotel as only Stanley Kubrick could envision it
• The Visions of Stanley Kubrick
-- A detailed look at one of cinema's greatest visual storytellers and his unique ability to move audiences through the magic of unforgettable images
• The Making of The Shining
-- This cinema verite documentary offers a rare glimpse into the directing style of Stanley Kubrick as he interacts with stars Jack Nicholson, Shelly Duvall and others
• Wendy Carlos, Composer
-- Composer Wendy Carlos reflects on working with complex auteur Stanley Kubrick and developing music scores for The Shining and A Clockwork Orange

Final Score: :4.5stars:

While some people (Stephen King being one of them) don’t like the film adaptation of The Shining, it is probably one of the most sophisticated and iconic horror films in all of history. It is the perfect blend of artistic visuals, horrifying out of sight projections, and a terrifying look at a man losing his grip on sanity. The 4K UHD disc is a very large upgrade over the Blu-ray, including all of the extras and audio from that previous release, but boosting it with a stunning video encode that blows the old one straight out of the water, and counts as one of the finest remasterings of an 80s film to 4K that I’ve seen in quite some time. Definitely a must get for any horror (or just classic) fan.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, Danny Lloyd, Scatman Crothers, Barry Nelson, Philip Stone, Tony Burton, Anne Jackson, Joe Turkel
Directed by: Stanley Kubrick
Written by: Stanley Kubrick, Diane Johnson (Screenplay), Stephen King (Novel)
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 HEVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 5.1, French, German, Spanish, Polish DD 5.1, Italian, English DD 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Arabic, Czech, Dutch, Finnish, Hungarian, Korean, Mandarin (Traditional), Norwegian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Swedish, Thai
Studio: Warner Brothers
Rated: R
Runtime: 146 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: Own The Shining on Ultra HD Blu-ray and Digital on October 1st.

Recommendation: Highly Recommended

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Can’t wait for my copy to come!!! Yes!!!

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. This is a great movie worth having. :)

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Yup, I remember hearing how Kubrick tortured Shelley and how King hated the movie compared to his book. We visited the Stanley where King wrote the novel and also saw the room he stayed in. I agree this is a classic and is one of my go to films when I am in the mood (always :)) for horror.
Thanks for the review.

Last edited:

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
I don't have a 4K tv but may get it to play on the 4K player to get rid of the black bars.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
*gasp!!! black bars destroyer! the power of 4K compels you! ;)

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Hmmm... never watched it myself. Doesn't seem like it would do anything for me. I am not a horror movie fan even in the slightest really.

I'd rather watch E.T. :bigsmile:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
It’s a great flick... a slow burn topped off as a psychological thriller. Cinematography is mesmerizing.

it’s a good one

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
It’s a great flick... a slow burn topped off as a psychological thriller. Cinematography is mesmerizing.

it’s a good one
I second that. @Sonnie I think you don't have to like horror to enjoy this movie. The movie has a great story behind it and like Todd mentioned the Cinematography is mesmerizing. I think you'd enjoy it.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Hmmm... never watched it myself. Doesn't seem like it would do anything for me. I am not a horror movie fan even in the slightest really.

I'd rather watch E.T. :bigsmile:

while it's technically horror, it's not a blood bath type of movie. It's way WAY more psychological. It could be categorized as a psychological thriller with supernatural elements with some elements that push it into the horror genre

Top Bottom