The problem with the usb mic.... UMIC 1 vs dbx mic?

PabloAguas

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
SCHITT Gumby
Main Amp
Audio Note Kit 2
Front Speakers
AN
Subwoofers
ACI Titan
So, usb is only good for 15'... maybe 16' with a good cable.... right? So when measuring a 3000 square foot room, are there no options but to move my whole preamp system to the middle of the room for measuring? or has anyone used a usb extender?
My other contemplation is that, in addition to my limited-distance-range Umic -1, I have this DBX XLR version of a UMIC-2 calibration mic for a driverack that I was formerly using. This mic is XLR, so it can go as far as XLR can go. I'm aware that there are error factors here- mics are not individually calibrated, coloration from the mic cable, coloration from the audio interface, latency from the audio interface... but still it seems like maybe a better option than a USB over ethernet extender?

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I have seen posts from folk using active USB extenders without issues. Since you have both mics you could compare their responses and generate a cal file for the DBX mic if necessary.

PabloAguas

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
SCHITT Gumby
Main Amp
Audio Note Kit 2
Front Speakers
AN
Subwoofers
ACI Titan

gnodeb

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Exposure 2010S2
Computer Audio
HIFIBERRY DIGI2 PRO
DAC
PS Audio Digital Link III
Front Speakers
Tannoy Revolution DC6T
I've avoided that problem by playing recorded sweep file from my main player, instead playing sweep from computer/REW. That way there is no connection between audio system and measuring computer, so it is easy to move mic around.

Is that smart/good decision? I do not know :).

Top Bottom